2159 jonsered

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BWalker...as far as I know, the lost foam (lost wax, etc.) process, or investment casting might be an excellent way to produce low quantities and short runs with sand-casting processes, but not very useful to the likes of Stihl or E-Lux.

I'm thinking, though...with the fusion of talents here, what could we produce with the right motivation? Suppose our resident saw-modifiers spec'ed out a set of cases to take a Yamaha YZ crank, designed an AC cylinder, and assorted small parts. Wolf River Mike has more or less offered to do the CAD/CAM work. He can FTP me the files, and I can try to Jimmy some CNC time at work, get some prototype castings made, then machined. Then back to Dennis or KD for assembly and "tuning" Somewhere I have seen ads for custom bore plating, so it's concievable to have a chrome bore in this monster.

I'm thinking 470 cc (only around 75 hp) a professional, factory made appearnace with a rewind, HD Tillotsens (2 of 'em) 1 quart tank to run alky, and a price tag of about $9,500 ($23,000,012 Can).

As long as we're dreaming, lets bribe somebody at Oregon or Carlton to tool up for a batch of 1/2" full chisel.

Some people might think that idea is way out of line,but it sounds good to me!!! Jon

Good idea. I'd kick in for something like that. Take the Chauncey Varney deal one step further. I'd love to see what Ken could come up with given virtually no restrictions and a clean sheet of paper.

etc.) process, or investment casting might be an excellent way to produce low quantities and short runs with sand-casting processes, but not very useful to the likes of Stihl or E-Lux.
I just wondered because I noticed quit a few GM engines are cast this way. bTW I know a place in detroit that will cast cylinders, I could do the fuel system and I also know a guy in Wis that does plateing and porting, so we got that base covered, LOL.

2159 side access plates

hello db,
yes it probably is cheaper to cast that way but when i look at the transfer I can't help thinking they have some other reason, Maybe they are going to injection, Maybe they are going to put in air at that point, or maybe they are going to a turbo like tony thinks. now that would be neat . we'll see. they also changed the shape of the short side radius from a round radius to a three sided radius. they had to do that for a reason.
ken

2159 vs. 359

Can anyone verify that the 2159 and 359 use the same cylinder, and whether or not the cylinders for either or both are cast in house by E-lux? How does the 2159 compare to the 357xp in quality and performance? It's a lot cheaper...

2159 vs 357

hello bruiser,
when i got tony snyder's 2159 I had a 357 dissembled on the floor. Got to comparing them, they dont have the same barrel and crank but everything else on the saws have the same part numbers and all carb parts muffler, flywheel and cases are identical. the 357 bore size is 1 mm smaller. the 359 husky may be the same . I havent been into one of them. but i'm sure ol dennis g. will know because he sells both of them.
ol ken

2159 vs 359

Hey there, the 2159 and 359 share the same piston/cylinders as well as the same crankshaft assemblies...

The 2149 and the 350 share the same piston and cylinder but the 2149 shares the crankshaft assy with the 346....

they are both (2159 and 359 cylinders) cast in house with the new non-removeable side plates....as well is the 2149/350 cylinder...

hope that helps

2149 G vs. 350

Up at my dad's the other week, I ran my 2149 G up against his new Husky 350 stock. Now I had a 18" 3/8" on mine and his had a 16" .325, but through a 10" pine log which was the trunk of a tree I had just cut down, the 350 did it in about 7 seconds and the 2149 G did it in 5. Not too shabby, I'd say!

Yep,
I have a 350 I'm fairly happy with, but want to upgrade to a more professional saw and probably have it tweaked by Dennis or somebody. It seems that the 2159/359 is the way to go in my price/weight/size range for a do-all saw, especially if it tunes well. Y'all let us know... Street price is $75 cheaper than a 357xp.

PS... Am I the only one that much preferred Doug's swingin' tits avatar to the pukin' baby?

I try not to look at the puking baby, reminds me of college.........YEAH I SOMETIMES WORE A DIAPER, SO WHAT!

Tomorrow, when I get into the office, I'll give you what you want. I don't have it here on the computer at home.

No bruiser, you're not, at least 35000 other ASite boobie freaks agree with you.....moi aussi...

I'm becoming a "dealer" for Efco, can get a great price on the 962C, which beats the 359 and 357 in specs...email me....

Or get a saw directly from Dennis, his prices are great, and shipping costs and hassles are reduced.

Question for you guys out their that have a modified Ken Dunn saw. KD is building me a 2159... I'm wondering if you guys or KD think it will pull a 24" bar ok ? This will be my first KD saw so I'm not real sure what to expect Thanks for any Info Eric

Originally posted by rbtree
I'm becoming a "dealer" for Efco, can get a great price on the 962C, which beats the 359 and 357 in specs...email me....

Maybe I'm starting a new thread here but are Efco's good quality saws? Are they an Electrolux product? If so do they share any parts with Husky or Jonsered?

Latest posts

Back