232L Trimmer > brush cutter, 232R or J handle kit?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raventai

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello more noob questions,

I need to clear many areas of dense thicket/brush/grape vine/saplings etc, nothing over 3/4", attacking them with a machete is slow going.

I have a 232L trimmer from 1999 or so the string head really does not do much for the woody stalks but it has a lot of power and the power head is identical to the 232R brush cutter (sticker even says 232L/232R)

I would like to convert it to a brush cutter, found this kit at sears for $20 (seams very reasonable) it is supposedly a "j handle kit" it only appears to have a short bar that attaches to the current top handle instead of the double grip of the 232R

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...ssories&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

On Husky's site they say this kit is not to be used with saw blades, Why is that? is it a liability thing or can it physically a problem? safety concern? is there a better kit out there? would I be better off converting it to a full 232R with the bicycle grip? what all would I need to buy to do the 232R conversion?

I have read that the 3 blade style is the preferred here do all these blades have the same hole size? if I buy the kit from sears will I be able to mount a 3 blade or saw blade on it as needed?

Thanks for any info.
Raven

Buy the Husky parts and convert it to a TRUE 232R.

I have a 232R and like it very much. I use mine with a 10" grass blade, and then change out to a trimmer guard and use it with a T35 trimmy head.

All the parts you need are listed and illustrated in the IPL. Good luck!

Four paws, thanks for the tip, found the IPL and it was clearer than I thought to figure out what parts are different dug up what I think is all that makes the difference,

Code:
THROTTLE HANDLE  	502195813    $36.26  
CABLE SET 	        502206901    $26.72
HANDLE 	                503724303    $49.72
THROTTLE CONTROL        502189801    $22.17  	

Subtotal: 	$134.87

Is the bicycle handle worth $135 over the J?

one other thing is there a drop in non-cat muffler for this one?

Four paws, thanks for the tip, found the IPL and it was clearer than I thought to figure out what parts are different dug up what I think is all that makes the difference,

Code:
THROTTLE HANDLE  	502195813    $36.26  
CABLE SET 	        502206901    $26.72
HANDLE 	                503724303    $49.72
THROTTLE CONTROL        502189801    $22.17  	

Subtotal: 	$134.87

Is the bicycle handle worth $135 over the J?

one other thing is there a drop in non-cat muffler for this one?

There is not a drop in non-cat muffler, but it is pretty easy to take the 'cat' out of your muffler. Search for 'DIY muffler' - I posted pictures and a detailed explanation of the muffler off my 232R that I worked over.

As far as the conversion parts - you will need a different guard around the cutting attachment/blade, and the complete bicycle handle kit, and a harness. It might be cheaper for you to sell it and buy a 232R or a 235R or ?? It only cost me $40 for the T-35 trimmy head and the trimmer guard. There are some good deals on eBay from time to time if you watch - the bicycle handle kits aren't always for Husqvarna machines, but you can convert them if you are handy.

Josh

I have a 232R and have used all kinds of blades on it. For light brush cutting (really just heavy weeds with woody stems) a good weed blade works pretty well. I have even used one of those "Beaver Blades" that have chainsaw chain and whacked down saplings as large as 3". Muffler modding it a bit will wake it up just like it does a chainsaw. I run .120 string on mine with no problem and it lasts a lot longer than the .080 I used to run.

That said, my next trimmer/brush cutter will be a bigger one in the neighborhood of 40cc. Got's to have mo power..

Ian

Last edited:
That said, my next trimmer/brush cutter will be a bigger one in the neighborhood of 40cc. Got's to have mo power..

Ian

Sure, and a bike handle is mandatory.

I use the FS200 (same power as the 40cc 250), and it is fine for both grass and brush, up to about 2", or a bit more.

There is not a drop in non-cat muffler, but it is pretty easy to take the 'cat' out of your muffler. Search for 'DIY muffler' - I posted pictures and a detailed explanation of the muffler off my 232R that I worked over.

Found it, http://arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=483666&postcount=22

looks good thanks for the write up, I don't have an oxy acetylene torch but I know where to borrow one.

Is the internal baffle necessary? can I just make it a empty can like my 372xp and regulate back pressure with the outlets of the muffler? (85% of exhaust port)

As far as the conversion parts - you will need a different guard around the cutting attachment/blade, and the complete bicycle handle kit, and a harness. It might be cheaper for you to sell it and buy a 232R or a 235R or ?? It only cost me $40 for the T-35 trimmy head and the trimmer guard. There are some good deals on eBay from time to time if you watch - the bicycle handle kits aren't always for Husqvarna machines, but you can convert them if you are handy.

Josh

It probably would be cheaper to sell the 232L and get a used 2xxR but I bought the 232L new and have taken good care of it, know it, like it would not want to get rig of it.

I wonder if I could find a used dead 232R for cheap and scavenge the parts needed?

Saw Troll my brush cutting needs are pretty light, no need to attack 2-3" with it got chain saws for that, First use of my 372 not thinking ahead I dropped several tress into brushy areas it was a bear to work in, now I would like to clear the brush first before dropping the tree's. most of this stuff is less than 3/4" woody weeds and vines, 232 with a brush cutter head should be enough power for that right?

Last edited:
Back