Brush Cutters / Clearing Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't see the videos because they're blocked at work but if the references above to shredder blades are also called scratcher blades then I prefer the circular saw blade as it can be resharpened (the bottom entry on Stihl's reference page http://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent/.../Cutting-Heads-and-Blades-Selection-Chart.pdf).

Especially if you have to work through harder brush or may hit some rocks or dirt I get a lot more life out of them.

I agree with the bigger is better approach as long as it's relatively modern - I've got a 25 year old 55cc tanaka which is just brutal to use compared to a 32cc relatively modern husqvarna. But the tanaka can take down 4" trees and buckthorn with barely slowing down.

You NEED to google brushcutter shredder blade or watch that video. A shredder blade is not a saw blade. Shredder blades are shaped like a "U". Stihl doesn't sell shredder blades in the USA.

The resharpenable blade is a chisel tooth blade.

I run a shredder blade on my biggest bike handle trimmer and it is awesome! It will also throw rocks into the next county so care is needed. Wear chaps, a forestry helmet, and safety glasses. I bought the shredder blade on ebay.

Oregon does make them and they are for sale in the states so I don't know what Stihl's issue is. Windsor made them as well the the Windsors are a bit nicer than the Oregons as they are lighter with a taper.

What's the end goal of the land? Surely at some point it would be dry enough to get on with a tractor...I mean they used to plow it right? Sure with a lot of junk on it, it won't dry as fast but eventually it will dry. Other options I'd consider strongly would be a goat...not a piece of equipment, but a real 4 legged goat. I've been using them around my place to clear some stuff up. Also, prescribed fire can accomplish a lot...not just turn things black fire, but well managed and timed fire. With either of these last options,just have to clear a border for either fence or a break

Goats were actually one of my first thoughts but Its just not in the cards right now. My goal is to get the vegetation and water under control and plant some evergreens along the perimeter in the somewhat near future. Eventually I'm planning a small barn, fence it in and get some animals, but do not have a time frame yet.

The other part of this equation is getting the ash trees out, and doing it soon. The EAB has killed most, if not all ash trees in the area. Ash is a great wood if it is harvested before it is dead or very shortly there after. It does not take long for standing dead ash to deteriorate to the point of being useless. Standing dead locust and oaks will be fine for several years. Left standing, dead Ash trees turn punky in a year or two to the point they do not even make great firewood.

My intentions are to salvage as much firewood as I can from the sea of blow downs and leaners while clearing the under brush into piles and cutting paths through the middle to gain access to more trees. I'm going to leave as many decent size healthy trees as I can for right now. This in hopes that as it dries out I can get the tractor in with the grapple and clean up the brush wholesale, and pickup the firewood with the dump trailer.

If I get a chance I'll take some pics of my mess.

I'm in the house right now and I can't remember which Stihl
What trimmer do you use, 2dogs? I have seen some shredder blades on Ebay. I think they are made by Oregon. Are those the ones you have?

I can't remember which model it is but I bought it new around 1990. The shredder blade is a Windsor but none of the dealers around here had access to one. The model number was stamped on the blade. I'll be out of town for a few days, I'll look when I get back.

It depends on what you want. The fs310 and fs250 are brush cutters, the fs360 and fs460 are clearing saws. If your looking for a brush cutter, I don't think there is a better one on the market than an fs250. That's what I have and it runs like a champ. If your thinning trees, get the fs460 unless you have a Husqvarna or Jonsered dealer nearby. Personally, I think Husqvarna and Jonsered make better clearing saws, but Stihl better brush cutters

I could be wrong, but the Stihl clearing saws can be equipted with a brush blade and string trimmer head making them very versatile. The Husky catalog only shows a saw blade available.

Hey there recently inherited a Husqvarna 22rl brush cutter from my grandpa it works great but I can't find any specs for it or reviews for it online it is extremely hard trying to find even small replacement parts or anything for it it's like it doesn't exist

Posting this here so more than 3 people read it.

I'm in the market for a good brush cutter. I already have an FS130R that I have used/abused/assaulted for the past 6 or 7 years and it has been flawless, but I would like to get a bike handled brush/clearing saw with a little more snot. I have about 5 acres that I will be practically clear cutting, and I will also be thinning/maintaining most of my 14acre lot and part of my father's, also 14 acres. The 5 acres portion was a plowable field roughly 50 years ago and they walked away from it. It is overgrown with Locust, Ash, Maple, Birch, Poplar, Wild Cherry and green briar among a million vines and poison oak..

Plan is to thin all the little scrubs out, leave anything that is healthy and of decent size and obliterate the ash trees as the EAB has killed every single one of them. The main reason I'm looking at a clearing saw is the ground is not very firm and it is too thick and overgrown to get the tractor into right now.. I need to get it cleared and then divert some runoff to dry things up before the tractor can get in AND get back out. Mostly clearing will be with a three prong blade or circular saw blade. Its much too overgrown for string, but will probably have a string head for whatever I get for other uses.
I've already done 3 acres of the property with the 130 but it was not near as grown up as the rest of it is, thus how I know some more power would be nice.

My choices at the moment are :

Stihl FS310 - (Kinda eliminated this one do to seeking more hp than the 130, which is the same engine)
Stihl FS250 - NOS (dealer has one with an inch of dust on it but it is brand new)
Stihl FS360 - Same engine as FS240 if anybody has experience with that model.
Stihl FS460 - Same weight as 360 but with a lot more gonads, mtronic and $150 more.

I would love to find an NOS FS350 or 450 but I have had zero luck with that. If anybody knows of one close to PA I would be interested.

Price isnt my main concern, but is of some concern. If the 250 will do, I dont see the need top spend twice as much on the FS460. I had it narrowed down to the FS360 but due to some less than favorable reviews on Stihls website, i'm rethinking my choices.

Basically looking for first hand experience with any of these models, good bad or indifferent.

Thanks guys,

-AJ
Anyone here attempted to buy a FS 240 in past 6 mos? Thanks!

I could be wrong, but the Stihl clearing saws can be equipted with a brush blade and string trimmer head making them very versatile. The Husky catalog only shows a saw blade available.
And on a post I just made some replies claim to run both at same time??

I almost bought another 240, the shops i use have them instock.. northwest oregon
My 561 is mostly a TRI- mulching/shreader blade or big string ,150/170 ,to beat the crab out whatever im hurting with no spark.
my 240 runs dbl mulch blade or 130mm round, blackberry has no hope.

depends what state you can leave the debris in, little bits, just down, or down out of the way.

Shreader makes bits,more work ,but yeah!
Grass blade/ kinda square 4 tip lays in place
Tri-star types are good for moving tall grass you just layed down, though all can do that, under 10in ones can realy go through harder stem.

For me mulch 2tip wins, high speed, can come down on tall stuff, then chop it up on the ground.

My 250r vibrated a lot and seemed best with a shredder blade against blackberries. It was pretty weak with any blade at deforestation, and too strong as a string trimmer. My 550 was great at everything except fuel economy. It had too much power for any blade I used. I think a 450 would be the sweet spot in trimmer/clearing saw application's.

I almost bought another 240, the shops i use have them instock.. northwest oregon
My 560 is mostly a TRI- mulching/shreader blade or big string ,150/170 ,to beat the crab out whatever im hurting with no spark.
my 240 runs dbl mulch blade or 130mm round, blackberry has no hope.
Thanks!!
depends what state you can leave the debris in, little bits, just down, or down out of the way.

Shreader makes bits,more work ,but yeah!
Grass blade/ kinda square 4 tip lays in place
Tri-star types are good for moving tall grass you just layed down, though all can do that, under 10in ones can realy go through harder stem.

For me mulch 2tip wins, high speed, can come down on tall stuff, then chop it up on the ground.
not sure what 2 tip is? Like 2 prop plane propellor?

And are you running FS 240?

My 250r vibrated a lot and seemed best with a shredder blade against blackberries. It was pretty weak with any blade at deforestation, and too strong as a string trimmer. My 550 was great at everything except fuel economy. It had too much power for any blade I used. I think a 450 would be the sweet spot in trimmer/clearing saw application's.
What does shredder blade look like?

Latest posts

Back