Brush Cutter Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I got the aluminum device off ebay. With the Oregon aircut blade pictured and the recess on the back side shown in the picture it locates on the splines but just a tiny bit. Even without the blade the aluminum is thick enough so that the splined piece shown on the chainsaw file that puts real drive to both sides of an attachment can not do that. The other blade is a carbide tipped one that in my usage has made the ones that sharpen with a chainsaw file and benefit from setting the teeth obsolete A small picture and a larger one as a thumbnailstens 385-922 mini.jpg

stens 385-922.jpg

Oregon aircut blade

I am not sure what Oregon part that is. Kindly post closer pictures. Detailed pictures of your gearhead, washers, and bolts will be helpful.

Usually, when we mount the blades at the same time as the trimmer line, we use the trimmer-head and it's hold-down bolt to secure the blade to the trimmer gearbox. You will almost always need to have the brushcutter washer between the gearbox and the steel blade, as it has a raised circle to keep the steel blade centered. Some machines have a threaded stud sticking out, which complicates things considerably.

If you have exposed splines sticking out of the gearbox, you will need the two clamping washers that are usually needed to secure the blade with a simple bolt. That cupped washer I see at the top of your photo might work, but the different manufacturers have considerably different ways of attaching blades, and none of them will try to help you mount a trim head along with a steel blade.

Hello
I have 1 acre of hillside brush that I want to maintain. Thick brush, tall grass, bush sized weeds and thorns and some small saplings (under 2"). I assume that I will only need to to clear it a few times a year so it won't get tons of usage. I'm assuming there is a product that I can do this and possibly also have string trimmer option if I want. I'm thinking gas powered, handheld. Suggestions....Brands, models, attachments?
Thank you very much, Mark
I like my Stihl FS 131 with the bike handles. An FS 311 by Stihl would be good too.

What I pictured is for Efco 26mm shaft. If I recall the one with the Honda engine has both a bolt like I quote from your text and the splined threaded piece variants in the ipl. Or maybe the string head it came with was for like you describe not what was with the machine. I have two of those one the Honda engined one 35cc and a non extendable 27cc pole saw one I bought a gearbox for. The total Honda, Stihl FS250 head and a couple others all are basically the same as pictured. Some kits for the string heads come with lots of parts different threads, different male vs female pieces.

I found it by inputing stuff on the website you linked to with the Oregon #. Strangely I spent one cent more than necessary on ebay to order closer and ended up with the same seller as you linked.

trimmer-head and it's hold-down bolt to secure

Some machines have a threaded stud sticking out, which complicates things considerably.
efco gearbox external parts.jpg

Hello
I have 1 acre of hillside brush that I want to maintain. Thick brush, tall grass, bush sized weeds and thorns and some small saplings (under 2"). I assume that I will only need to to clear it a few times a year so it won't get tons of usage. I'm assuming there is a product that I can do this and possibly also have string trimmer option if I want. I'm thinking gas powered, handheld. Suggestions....Brands, models, attachments?
Thank you very much, Mark
Good Afternoon,

Did you ever pickup a Brush Cutter?

Mad3400

Stihl FS 56 RC-E or Husqvarna 128LDX. These come with attachments you need for the rough terrain

The OP is gone but as to the attachments I took some pictures. The aircut blade and a string containing head I suppose bump feed or manual advance type have for me to be worthy of more than one tank of fuel. It allows snipping some woody stuff the string won't reliably handle and keeping the aircut blade from striking the ground which results in a face with sprayed dirt in it or a muddy visor on the forestry helmet. The brush blender blade is still probably the one I would recommend most and is on upside down in the picture enclosed.

Whether one needs a powerful machine or not varies there is a lot of energy in the spinning blade and sometimes all that really changes with twice the cc is it gets back up to speed quicker.multiple brushcutter blades.jpg

Latest posts

Back