242 xp no spark

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superwizz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
last week i was cutting. while i was in midcut the saw died. checked later and had no spark. plug is ok, put new one in though. wires looked good, checked continuity, ok. cleaned flywheel. does any one know the gap between the flywheel and magneto? (don't know if thats the correct word).
checked coil between the plug wire and either ground or positive going in, i got about 1.4 k ohms. between pos in and ground i got around 1 ohm.
any help would be great. thanks, ken

I don't know but if you mail it to me I won't charge to get rid of it for you. the gap may range but if you set it to .015 you should be real close to the range I think huskys are normally .016 if my failing memory serves me. you may want to check a couple of things, like disconnect the kill switch, or pull a known good plug out of a saw just to test for spark, just because it is new doesn't mean its good. and finally you can probably find a coil from a range of saws that will fit. even if a friend has one just to test with.

good luck

If you disconnected the switch and you check if the spark wire is not grounded somewhere,then you gonna need probably at 99 % the big coil along the flywheel,not the small blue one.Transistor from 42,246 will fit on it,i dont remember others models with the same.

Should be 0.3mm. The business card trick is probably good enough.

same same

.33 mm =.015
And a buisness card is what I use, some may vary the last one I used was actually .012. It just doesn't get any easier than that.

tried unhooking kill switch and got nothing. tried another plug still nothing. going to check the gap tonite on the flywheel. also going to check the woodruff key on flywheel. just have to find a coil to check with. thanks for the help, ken

I wouldn't mess too much with it. I think it has a lifetime ignition warrenty. I have a 246 which is the same vintage and it has the warrenty. I'd check it out with a husky dealer; Let them fix it.

Back