246 vs 346XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary N Carter

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, I broke down and did it. My dealer had a parts 246 Husky that I had been trying to get from him and he finally let me take it home. It had so many parts missing I decided to just get a new one. I bought the 346XP and it will be my last one for a while. The first thing I noticed was the quality of the on/off choke assembly was suspect. Not like the 246 which are separate and solid feeling. Initially the 346 seems a lot lighter until you put on the pro bar and chain. So far I have ran one tank of fuel through it and it seems ok. At or about the sixth tank I should know what I have got. I will let you guys know about the upcoming battle!!!

I have a couple 346's and at first I was suspect of the choke lever as well. My oldest one is now 3 years old and it has held up just fine with semi-heavy use. When it was about 2 months old the tiny screw holding the choke lever on the carb loosened up but I caught it before I lost the screw. I now own 6 Husky saws and have no issues with the switches or levers.

The new one feel cheap but I have seen high failure on the older stop switch that was red and slide horizontally. I imagine they realized a problem and went to this design that is hopefully better.

Buck

Don't worry over the 346 choke, but on the 246 the throttle rod is a weak point. The plastic roller wears and will fall off. I went through 7 in one year, but saw was used 8 hours per day.

346xp Follow Up

Hey Guys it has been a year or so since I posted this thread and I have found out that the 346's are diamonds in the rough! I now own two of them that are power ported and they stroll! I use them primarilly as limbing saws with some felling and they are great. Switching them over to 20"bars for the reach was also a positive move. I am continuing with 18"bars for the 246 and 42 special.

I have a 246 that was bought new about 10 years ago. It is a firewood saw on it's third bar. It's been a bullet proof little saw,(other than one broken recoil rope). I love the size, feel and power for chunking firewoo. I'm switching to a narrow kerf 18" bar.

Latest posts

Back