25" or 28" for an MS-660 ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShoerFast

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Morrison Colorado, at the base of the Rockies
Where dose an MS-660 balance best for an all around bar, I'm thinking 25" 0r 28"?

I have shorter and longer bars, nothing in the "tweener" size and would like to get some ideas on what balances best as 25" may lack a couple inches sometimes and need a little more reaching, and a 28" may feel a little nose-heavy, whats the best sized bar?

ShoerFast said:
Where dose an MS-660 balance best for an all around bar, I'm thinking 25" 0r 28"?

I have shorter and longer bars, nothing in the "tweener" size and would like to get some ideas on what balances best as 25" may lack a couple inches sometimes and need a little more reaching, and a 28" may feel a little nose-heavy, whats the best sized bar?

25 is near perfect..I like the 28in

Yes, I have the 36" hangs with an 8-pin real well, but it is nose heavy, if I don't need it in everything.

Another question that may make the differance, what makes a perfict loop of chain? 18" bars the cutters come out with a left behind a left ot a right - right,, but a 20" bar it matches left - right the whole loop with an 8-pin.

28" balances pretty well in my hands. By my way of thinking, having three bars - 20, 28, 36 - should meet all your 660's needs. If you can't imagine ever wanting a 20" for the 660, then I'd probably split the difference with the 24/25", since you still have a 36" available for the big jobs.

Here, with a 28":

066_Carlton_03a.jpg

Last edited:
tek9tim said:
Yeah, what he said. Buy a smaller saw if you want that short of a bar.

Yes, I have a fair Ms-310, that has some time left in it, that will be replaced by a 361 some day, till then, I just hope to have the tweener bar when the conditions are right.

I will get either a 25" or 28" GB hoping for in-put?

Kevin, I think the 066/660 balances very well with a 28". It also balances well with a 20", in my hands. While it doesnt have a problem with a 36", that does get nose heavy after awhile. Go for the 28", youll kick yourself if you need the extra 3" the 25" doesnt give you.

computeruser said:
28" balances pretty well in my hands. By my way of thinking, having three bars - 20, 28, 36 - should meet all your 660's needs.

Here, with a 28":

To me, there is a huge differance in the 36" , it just dosan't ballance, as it is nose heavy, it's a lot like work, the 28" must be just at the eadge of nose heavy?

One thing to watch out for with this "balance" is the type of bar - soild or laminated... It will change a lot.

I like mine to be nose heavy... and run a 28 ES (solid) for "normal" work, and a 36 when needed.

Too cool!

Thanks! what great help!

I will get a 28" bar, I did uver build some dogs for it, and would have to double kick my-self if I coulden't quit span something with a 25" bar.

What would the DL count be for 28" of 3/8th pitch on an 8-pin ?

Lakeside53 said:
One thing to watch out for with this "balance" is the type of bar - soild or laminated... It will change a lot.

I like mine to be nose heavy... and run a 28 ES (solid) for "normal" work, and a 36 when needed.

Thanks Andy

You might never talk to me again, I'm going to put a 28" GB titatinem on it, but I have a 20" and 36" ES for it.

CaseyForrest said:
You gotten a chance to use that monster yet?

Nope, nothing has required it, save for ripping up some of that maple that is still sitting by my wood pile.

However I might have what I'm told is a HUGE removal coming up somewhere around Lansing, though, in addition to the one at the cemetery. Haven't seen the potential Lansing one yet, just heard about it second-hand by way of the bro-in-law of the homeowner. The guy said he thinks it is a huge old Maple, so there might be some lumber coming out of that tree if his info is correct...if it is, I'll be sure to schedule it on a weekend when you're around. The tree is supposed to be healthy, but it is collapsing their foundation and they want it gone so they can excavate and repour. We shall see.

I've had a couple 066's through my hands over the years.

The first one i bought had a 24" oregon powermatch on it. It balance very well, almost perfect.

I always ran the bigger bar as the 32" and used the 24" on my 046. It was a tad nose heavy with the 32, but nothing major. If you run a 36, you may want the west coast dawgs to keep the saw flat when sitting.

My new one has a 28" ES bar (91 DL BTW) and I think it balances perfect. I still have a 20",24" and 36" for the needs, but the 28 will stay on it most of the time.

My 24" stihl bar is what Stihl calls a 25"...It is the same DL count and still only has 24" of cutting surface as the oregon.....

Besides, I like to mount the 25" ES bar to my 7900. Gotta put some power behind that bar. :laugh:

Latest posts

Back