261 basket case

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike047

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Awhile back, I bought a 261 basket case off of fleabay. Fianally got the pieces that I needed to re-assemble it.

I have done several 026's and this new style is much tougher to do. All the parts that I bought were in a box and other than the IPL, I really had very little idea how it went together. Put the fan side on last :D. Finally got the hang of inserting the piston clips, with the help of a tip garnered here. Notch in a spare carb screwdriver is the ticket. Put one clip in and it was so easy that I thought I had lost it. :).

Replaced all fuel hoses, fuel pickup, new oem base gasket, Hyway p&c.

Started right up and idles/runs fine. My compression Gauge is a POS and doesn't read accurately but indicated 115 which is what I get on newly purchased saws with the gauge.

My only real problem is the carb nuts are recessed into the filter housing. They are 8mm hex and a socket or nut driver is too big to fit. (to start saw I left the filter and housing off, and will not use saw until I can get the filter on.

Anyone know of a very thin wall socket or is there a special tool required to tighten these nuts. I can' find a special tool listed in Stihls tool list.

I have a very poor 1X wireless internet connection so I don't have and can't post any photos, SORRY :(

It was fun but I won't fool with another "new" type saw :D

I moved from NC about 2 years ago and am still trying to get my shop and tools back to where I want them.
I will have to go buy a grinder but I need one anyway, so now I have a real reason to do it :D

Depending on how low of cost you're looking to stay in and also how many saws you'll be working on, Stihl sells a t-handle 8mm nut driver that is think walled and has come in very handy for my on many saws. It can be purchased from your local dealer, and the part number is 5910 890 2420. I believe it retails for $14.49, not the cheapest driver in the world, but it's good quality and will get the job done on saws.

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 20
Depending on how low of cost you're looking to stay in and also how many saws you'll be working on, Stihl sells a t-handle 8mm nut driver that is think walled and has come in very handy for my on many saws. It can be purchased from your local dealer, and the part number is 5910 890 2420. I believe it retails for $14.49, not the cheapest driver in the world, but it's good quality and will get the job done on saws.

View attachment 346203 View attachment 346204

Looks like rebranded Wiha?

Looks like rebranded Wiha?

Probably. I'd be willing to bet most of their hand tools are re-badged which makes perfect sense. Do you know where the OP could purchase the Wiha nut driver and how much it costs? I know a kit that includes it can be purchased from Bailey's, but it's around $55 + shipping and has 9 or so pieces total.

Probably. I'd be willing to bet most of their hand tools are re-badged which makes perfect sense. Do you know where the OP could purchase the Wiha nut driver and how much it costs? I know a kit that includes it can be purchased from Bailey's, but it's around $55 + shipping and has 9 or so pieces total.

I just thought I recogniced the handle shape - nothing more to it. ;)

Received the stihl tool and all is well. Saw runs well. I don't know about the longevity of the Hyway P&C, but saw runs as well as oem's that I have.

Before assembly, I compared the piston to all other AM types and an oem that I had. Appearance was the same except for one AM had a dull finish on it.
Dimensionally the were all identical in all aspects. Very well may have come from the same chinese factory. Although the AM parts may not be suitable for
"professional" use, I feel that it will suit my needs adequately.

Incidentally, I have recently ordered Stihl OEM parts from a reputable supplier and found "made in china" marking or tags on the parts :)
Parts may end up like computer parts.......all made in one china or the other with different names on them.

Latest posts

Back