261 Husky Compression

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripleT

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can someone please give me the minimum compression on this saw and still perform as a weekender use?
Thanks, Ray

Thanks Wood DR. Nice looking saw. Can you tell me the best place to purchase a new jug assembly for a 261, and a recommended brand.
Thanks Ray

Don’t replace the OEM cylinder if it’s clean. A (non dished) 262 piston is a must have mod for that saw anyway. $35 for a new 262 meteor piston..... can be found on fleebay. I get mine from wolf creek saw shop. Always great service- fast shipping.

The cylinder wall is pretty well scarred from looking at the piston. Can you tell me if the 262 kit a direct replacement?
Tks Ray

The cylinder wall is pretty well scarred from looking at the piston. Can you tell me if the 262 kit a direct replacement?
Tks Ray

Check the jug when you pull it- if it’s just aluminum transfer you can remove that. Deep scoring... not so much.

261/262 top end is a direct replacement- only difference between the two was the dished piston.

Make sure you find the source of the problem... would hate for you to ruin a new top end if the original problem (air leak or otherwise) still exists.

Thanks for the info. Yep I believe she's got an air leak. The saw belong to a good friend of mine, I know he did not have a gas mix problem. I'll be replacing the seals also. Guess I better pull it apart before I order the kit just in case it only needs a piston.
Thanks Again

Thanks for the info. Yep I believe she's got an air leak. The saw belong to a good friend of mine, I know he did not have a gas mix problem. I'll be replacing the seals also. Guess I better pull it apart before I order the kit just in case it only needs a piston.
Thanks Again
I would try to stay with oem, KS or Mahle. Meteor at the least. Used oem over china am.

Meteor makes a good piston- but I don’t go with anything but OEM for cylinders.... ever.

You can find used cylinders on eBay... and here on AS. Be very wary when buying used cylinders off the bay. Some people will hone the hell out of a cylinder to remove scoring and then try to sell.

AS can be a great source for this as you can buy from known sellers. @dustinwilt68 you have a cylinder that you want to sell? :)

Edit: just saw that Duce is getting you set up! :)

When you round up a cylinder delete the base gasket and ck squish. If it’s too close space it out with a soda can gasket and it will be good to go. I have done several this way. Do a simple MM and these things really come alive. And the 261 will have the preferred metal clutch cover. You can replace the starter decal also if you want. Good luck with the build.

Make sure you pressure and vac test.

Latest posts

Back