261c and 201tcm problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KCarborist4

Reaction score
I'm having serious problems with the 261c. I've got two of them. both same problem. Starts fine in the morning. Then after running for 30 minutes or so I can't get it to start without squeezing the trigger as well. A buddy says there's a known problem with the solenoids. My dealer says he knows nothing about it.

I have 3 201 tcm. None of them will start without squeezing the trigger and they all will die when idling. My dealers always want to blame it on fuel. But I have no problems with my 250s 461 or 660.

Is stihl just junk now? Is it time to go to Husqvarna?

We must have 20 of them at work with no issues. Everyone prefers them to the few non electronic 201ts. What type of fuel and oil are you running in them? Stihl synthetic at more than 50:1 doesn’t idle very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't run mine in the summer much but they seem to not like the heat, my 661 needs to be started the same way when hot but more so if I try to start it within 2-3 minutes of shutting it off, not 30. I know they start much easier with canned fuel than pump gas.

Husky 562s don’t like starting in the heat I ether. I always put it on high idle before starting when it’s hot out. I’m guessing it’s more a product of the duel intake designs of the strato saws.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the same saws, neither of which have the issues you are claiming. I run mine in the summer with no issue and it's certainly hot down here in south Texas. If the saw has already been running, even after a 20-30 minute rest I still find no need to use the CM/choke feature to start. Put them on run, pull and go.

I'm having serious problems with the 261c. I've got two of them. both same problem. Starts fine in the morning. Then after running for 30 minutes or so I can't get it to start without squeezing the trigger as well. A buddy says there's a known problem with the solenoids. My dealer says he knows nothing about it.

I have 3 201 tcm. None of them will start without squeezing the trigger and they all will die when idling. My dealers always want to blame it on fuel. But I have no problems with my 250s 461 or 660.

Is stihl just junk now? Is it time to go to Husqvarna?

You & I are the minority on this forum. I had exactly one Stihl 201tcm. Purchased new & used recreationally. My experience mirrored yours but worse. My dealer was unable to solve the problem as the software said my saw was perfect despite the 10 % failure to start stat. I replaced my dealer & my saw.

I have an early MS261 & MS201. Both are non-M Tronic. The 201 (rear handle) has a limited coil which is a pain when tuning is needed, so I asked my dealer about the 201 M Tronic. He told me that they were having many with solenoid problems & did not recommend one until the issue was solved. He also said that Stihl was well aware of the problems & was working on a new solenoid for the 201. This was told to me about 3 months ago.

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure what sds is? But I've bought a new solenoid. I can't just change it?

with the solenoid it depends. the older saws you can do the reset through the master switch newer saws have to be hook up to sds (which is stihl names for the mtronic software)

You & I are the minority on this forum. I had exactly one Stihl 201tcm. Purchased new & used recreationally. My experience mirrored yours but worse. My dealer was unable to solve the problem as the software said my saw was perfect despite the 10 % failure to start stat. I replaced my dealer & my saw.

That's ugly! I might suggest a call to Stihl directly. It's possible they could have some useful information, or they might replace the faulty saw.

Back