262 xp running lean???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdeck

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi I recently purchased a 262 xp used. When I turn it on its side to cut in to a tree it stalls. I can make it keep running by staying hard on the throttle and it cuts just fine. I would just like it to not stall. Is this a symptom of running lean? Also does anyone know where I could find a service/repair manual for the 262? Thanks

What happens when you put it on it's other side?How does it do when you are bucking?I have never had that problem but it sounds like it could be fuel delievery or seals.I am not saying that is it but something to check out.Oh yeah the 262 is a great saw.

Hi I recently purchased a 262 xp used. When I turn it on its side to cut in to a tree it stalls. I can make it keep running by staying hard on the throttle and it cuts just fine. I would just like it to not stall. Is this a symptom of running lean? Also does anyone know where I could find a service/repair manual for the 262? Thanks

Maybe, but could be alot of things! Are you sure its not rich?
If you let it idle for a min then pick it up and tip it forward or side to side and it sputters out and dies, it is usually rich on the low side meaning xtra fuel is puddling up.

I will have to mess with it a little more but I think it does it on either side and sometimes will bog down and stall when bucking. It has also stalled when it is idling. So either lean or rich when I think about it more rich makes more sense. How do you adjust for this?

I would replace or at the very least makes sure the fuel & air filters and spark plug are clean, before adjusting the carb.

Lol Moss man but no dice I got a good deal on this one and she is still in great shape. I think it sat for a while though.

I will admit first thing I am very inexperienced with chainsaws but I would like to learn. Can some one show me with a picture where the fuel filter is? Also should I just replace the spark plug or is there a way to tell if it is still good?

Lol Moss man but no dice I got a good deal on this one and she is still in great shape. I think it sat for a while though.

I will admit first thing I am very inexperienced with chainsaws but I would like to learn. Can some one show me with a picture where the fuel filter is?

I'm quite sure it is in the gas tank, just empty the fuel out and you should be able to see the gas line with the filter on the end. Just fish it out of there, unhook it from the line and install a new one.

I will get a new fuel filter tomorrow and a plug too. Thanks for your help guys. I have been reading and searching on this forum for a few weeks now and there is definitely a lot of info to be had here.

So I fooled around with my saw this morning. I cannot get it to stall here at my house even running upside down. Looked at some maps, I was cutting a good 3000 ft higher than here. Could this be causing the stall? Do I need to tune the carb for elevation I am cutting at?

So I fooled around with my saw this morning. I cannot get it to stall here at my house even running upside down. Looked at some maps, I was cutting a good 3000 ft higher than here. Could this be causing the stall? Do I need to tune the carb for elevation I am cutting at?

Yes. Not sure which way to adjust the carb for altitude though, someone else will have to address that.

I am no high altitude exp for sure but just guessing , at high altitude you loose power because you cant get enough air to it. So if it were me I would take the saw up and try leaning out the high and low maybe 1/4 turn and just see what happens if it gets better or worse. Your not gonna hurt it by testing and just keep track how much you adjust, you can put it back if it does not help!

Had the saw out again this afternoon. Leaned out the low end that thing really rips now. Haven't messed with the high end as it seems fine. It was just dying at idle from running to rich at altitude. Thanks for your help guys. Here is a pic from todays firewood run. Couldn't fit the whole tree in the truck, but got most of it.

Had the saw out again this afternoon. Leaned out the low end that thing really rips now. Haven't messed with the high end as it seems fine. It was just dying at idle from running to rich at altitude. Thanks for your help guys. Here is a pic from todays firewood run. Couldn't fit the whole tree in the truck, but got most of it.

I hope you didn't drive on public roads with that load.....:jawdrop:

Anyway, congrats on getting the saw right! :)

Nice job! Glad the saw is running good now. Thats the way I load a pickup and yes I drive on public roads ! If I go cut I am not comming home with half a load! Where I live though a pickup load of wood is the least of anyones worry on the road, there is tractors, combines, semi's and cattle out most of the time.

Latest posts

Back