262XP Day

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Am I doing it wrong?

Well does sinusoidal really describe it? I've often wondered.
upload_2015-4-8_14-3-39.png
New+Picture+%28118%29.png

New+Picture+%28117%29.png

Not just fingers.......fingers and bridges.

262 047.jpg

This is the swarf from the transfer work so far. For visual reference that tool is 7" long with the burr.

262 048.jpg

I'm taking my lovely wife out for Sushi. She's been fasting and this is a great way to break her fast.

Later. :)

Not just fingers.......fingers and bridges.

View attachment 417960

This is the swarf from the transfer work so far. For visual reference that tool is 7" long with the burr.

View attachment 417961

I'm taking my lovely wife out for Sushi. She's been fasting and this is a great way to break her fast.

Later. :)
Randy,
Without doing the base&squish, just by doing finger and bridge, how much gain do you think that modd would bring?

And second, how close to perfect do you think the timings are on standard 262?

I also have a third question, do your guys now and then shave off the lower transfer a bit, or would it not mather at all?

Well does sinusoidal really describe it? I've often wondered.
View attachment 417948
New+Picture+%28118%29.png

New+Picture+%28117%29.png

Yes it does, the red line is pretty close to a sine wave, it's just 1/2 the cycle.

Also note that a rod length of 2x the stroke gets the closest to a sine wave where anything else yields a larger velocity near TDC (less dwell). Although almost all engines are below 2 rod to stroke ratio.

I must like over thinking but does the distance from crank centerline to rod bearing have more affect on dwell than rod lenght?

The length of the stroke does not affect the dwell time. The rod's length in relation to the stroke does. The shorter rod will have less 'dwell' time at tdc, but the long rod will have greater acceleration (not to be confused with velocity) back down towards bdc.
The longer rod engine will have less time to fill the cylinder due to the fact that while its piston is still hanging around at TDC, the short rod engine has already beguns its travel (and suction) downward. This is advatageous for low to mid engine speeds. Once the short rod engine reaches high RPM the stress of that short rod pressing against the cylinder sidewall (termed: sidewall load) can have ill effecs (cracking sleeves, overheating, power loss due to excessive friction). Piston speed is merely a factor of the length of the stroke itself and RPM.

I've been doing some reading lately because a little while back there was another discussion about rod length and dwell times and I was overlooking the dynamics of how the rod length effects over a given crank angle. http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/finding-the-con-rod-length.274140/

Latest posts

Back