266xp bar length

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJackson

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What is the range of bar length that I should be able to run on my 266xp, if my brother ever sends it:D Also would like any information on these saws, like hp. Thanks

Last edited:
I run a 20" on mine without any trouble, IMO, nothing longer than a 28" for decent performance. anything longer and I'd imagine you'd start seeing lower performance.

A 266 does not have enough power for a professional level of performance with 24 inches of bar in hardwood. But, if your expectations are not too great, go ahead.

I would recommend staying with a 20".

Have Ken Dunn massage your 266 like he did with mine, then you can run a 24" or so into hardwood all day long. Had mine since new in 1987 and it always ran great with no problems encountered. Ken did a woods porting job on it last year and woke it up big time.

Thanks for the replies, I live in northern arizona and dont see much hardwood, mostly pine, pinon pine and juniper and more pine and soem gamble oak. I read on the site that Mange posted that the mix for a 266xp is 40:1 and not 50:1 as other models of the 266 line-up...any thoughts or comments on this.

Thanks

If you are refering to the link I posted, i think thats what the manufactuer said, If you want to know where the facts come from, ask Mike Acers himself, he can answer better.

Mange

I run 40 to 1 even when 50 to 1 is recommended. I rarely run across a fellow that runs his saw light duty. Most of them can use a little extra lube, regardless of what EPA say.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back