266xp is leaking bar oil everywhere

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedclampit

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been trying to get my hands on a manual for this saw, but until I do, i'm afraid i have stupid questions.

this saw appears to have an overactive bar oiler, where is the screw to adjust this or do I have something major wrong, bar oil seems to just be slowly streaming out of this thing from under the clutch cover.

I'm thinking something fell apart when I was cleaning it this past week.

Thanks for any replies

It should be like my 268XP, and have a 4 position adjustable oiler. The clutch and seal housing need to be removed to adjust it, at least from what I can remember? I'd check the supply hose to the pump as well....Cliff

The screw is on the upper left corner of oil pump.
To check for a problem,take the bar and clutch cover off and run saw. Look to see where the oil is coming from. Make sure it's coming out from the supply hole and not from around pump area.

The screw is on the upper left corner of oil pump.
To check for a problem,take the bar and clutch cover off and run saw. Look to see where the oil is coming from. Make sure it's coming out from the supply hole and not from around pump area.

Don't you run the risk of the sprocket flying off? I ran my saw like that once and it ended up across the road.

So what is it? Run the saw with the clutch and cover off, run it with just the cover off, or never do either?

Also, where is the pump located to see if that's the culprit?

And I'm still unclear about where to look for the adjustment on the oiler or what that even is--a screw?

thanks again for the responses.

This saw is hilarious, everytime I think I've got it caught up on maintenance (just rebuilt carb and replaced fuel line and filter) something else springs up. Bought it a few months ago.

If you take your clutch cover off, behind the clutch drum is your rim drive sprocket, then you will see a plastic disc about 2" in dia. That's the dust shield for the oil pump drive. Behind that is the oil pump worm drive and round driven gear. This is all mounted in a somewhat rectangular housing. On the rear of the housing in the upper left corner is a flat blade screw. This is the adjuster. You can run the saw without the bar and chain but be very careful not to over rev it as it has no load and will really spin out of control easily. But at the same time it has to be running fast enough to engage the clutch or it won't pump at all.
I would say first make sure you have the bar and inner plate on the saw correctly and the oil passages all line up and the hole in the bar is free of debris then thoroughly clean the entire clutch/oil pump/bar area so you can see where the oil is coming from when it is running. If it is clean enough it should be fairly easy to find where it's coming from.

If you take your clutch cover off, behind the clutch drum is your rim drive sprocket, then you will see a plastic disc about 2" in dia. That's the dust shield for the oil pump drive. Behind that is the oil pump worm drive and round driven gear. This is all mounted in a somewhat rectangular housing. On the rear of the housing in the upper left corner is a flat blade screw. This is the adjuster. You can run the saw without the bar and chain but be very careful not to over rev it as it has no load and will really spin out of control easily. But at the same time it has to be running fast enough to engage the clutch or it won't pump at all.
I would say first make sure you have the bar and inner plate on the saw correctly and the oil passages all line up and the hole in the bar is free of debris then thoroughly clean the entire clutch/oil pump/bar area so you can see where the oil is coming from when it is running. If it is clean enough it should be fairly easy to find where it's coming from.

Well said.

Did you run the saw out of the wood. I you did it may look like the saw is leaking bar oil. The saw chips help carry away excessive oil. If you didnt it may be the o ring behind the oil pump. If it leaks it may empty the oil tank even without it running.

Last edited:
Did you run the saw out of the wood. I you did it may look like the saw is leaking bar oil. The saw chips help carry away excessive oil. If you didnt it may be the o ring behind the oil pump. If it leaks it may empty the oil tank even without it running.

Yes I did run it out of wood, I was tuning a rebuilt carb so running it at idle and occasionally at high speed for about 10 min. total. Seemed to be a lot of oil coming out, need to see how full reservoir is, but does appear to leak when sitting.

I'll try watching it with the clutch cover off and see where its coming out and how fast, yet to do anything about this

Back