266xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

regulate34

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
so I will try to condense the story. I have a friend in the city. He comes up to another friends ranch for 5 or so weeks in the summer. (Retired life).
He takes home a cord of wood to have for fall salmon fishing.

He bought a used 266xp. He leaves it up here. He is also scared of using a chainsaw.

Any way the deal is I cut a cord of wood for him to take home once a year and I get the saw.

I have ran the saw. It's tuned pretty rich but runs good. Needs a chain for sure.

So any insight on the 266xp
Will my bar on my 455rancher fit the 266xp
Do they take well to porting and modding?

How many years do you owe him? Is he really old? That would influence my decision.

266s are cool old saws. Not worth years of work. Maybe the time it takes to cut 4 cords.

He's in his early 60's. He says he takes a cord. But it's probly 1/2 - 3/4 cord

I was also thinking about putting a time frame on it. He got the saw for 100$.

That sounds reasonable. They're cool saws. I have a thing for them right now and I'm trying to find parts to build a 272 which is the same saw base. I believe it uses large mount bars not the same as your small saws.

266 was THE felling saw in the early 80's. If I could find a nice one, preferably an XP, for under $300.00 I'd grab it in a heart beat. I got a 365 when I couldn't find a 266 and ot's no where's near the saw the 266 was.

In the early 1980s the 266 was designated SE, not XP. An important upgrade was a larger carb from some time in 1985, and the designation changed to XP about 1987, with no major changes happening at the same time.

What also happened about 1987 was the appearance of the stronger 268XP, that made the 266XP a rare model on some markets, but far from in all. The 268XP had the same bore/stroke and 66.7cc - but the transfers had a larger capasity, and there were many other changes.

266 was THE felling saw in the early 80's. If I could find a nice one, preferably an XP, for under $300.00 I'd grab it in a heart beat. I got a 365 when I couldn't find a 266 and ot's no where's near the saw the 266 was.
I have a 266xp im thinking of selling. PM if you are interested.

I'm new here. I'm trying to sell my 266XP, I got no choice. I bought it new back in those old days. My local saw shop says they can't get a piston and jug for it anymore, and they say mine is scored. I want to sell mine for parts or for some ambitious young guy to rebuild with an online piston and cylinder kit. I'm not up to doing it. I'm trying to post it for sale here, and I'm just not getting how this site works, I can't seem to make it happy and post my for sale item. I love this saw, I'm not going to just throw it on a junk heap, I want to sell it to somebody who appreciates it. Got two bars for it, chains too. I see piston and cylinder kits online for about 150, but my saw shop refuses to do the work if I provide the parts. Any suggestions?

Site rules may not allow you to post in the Tradin' Post until you have a few posts in the forums. However, you likely have accomplished what you set out to do by posting here. Good luck with your sale - you should have no trouble finding a buyer here. Lots of folks are fans of the old Huskies, including myself!

I sent you a message Another Old Feller. It should show up on the top of your screen under "alerts".
Well I feel pretty stupid and out of date, I guess. I cant find that "alerts" at top of screen, I cant find your message, this is the best I can do. Never was in any online forums before, guess I dont know how it works. Whats a "PM"? I see people saying they sent somebody a PM. I will take best offer from anybody and they pay to ship and I'll pack it. I have some familiarity with ebay, not a complete idiot but I feel like one.

PM is a private message. At the very top of the page is a black bar. At the right hand side in that black bar are your alerts. If you have a message, a green number will be visible indicating how many messages or alerts you have. Just click on the green number and you will see the alert or message.

Site rules may not allow you to post in the Tradin' Post until you have a few posts in the forums. However, you likely have accomplished what you set out to do by posting here. Good luck with your sale - you should have no trouble finding a buyer here. Lots of folks are fans of the old Huskies, including myself!

CJ, thank you I will go look in a minute, but meanwhile, more about my saw so everybody knows, this is a non-running saw. I bought it new on Halloween day 1986, orange and black! I got it with a 20" bar and later got a second 20" to go with it. I paid 469.95 in 1986 US dollars, that was 31 years ago. I used Optimol for my gas mix. Not everybody may recall the history but my first cylinder got smoked and my saw shop blamed the optimol. So got a new 501 68 55-71 assembly installed Jan 18, 1990. Ran great again. Then I got out of wood business. Fast forward, sold all my equip except the saw. Sold truck, tractor and a nice Farmi winch. I took a beating on what I got for everything. I couldn't give up the saw. It sat idle. I should have sold it back then. I used it again for a volunteer project cleaning up after a freak storm back 15 or 16 years ago. Everybody else involved had toy saws. That was the last time I ran it. Somehow 15 years evaporated, then two weeks ago I decide to fire it up and try to make a little side money. No dice. Saw shop says parts are discontinued. If they could have got the parts and done the labor I would have gone for it. End of story. I have the original 266 operators manual and operator safety manual that came with it and the 8 page fold out parts list/parts diagram. She handled white and black oak and hickory with ease and went through birch and maple like butter. Sorry, big dose of nostalgia.

the shop does not want to play with an old saw and then charge you, IDK....400 bucks.

pull the muffler. look in the exhaust port at the piston. Pull the carb, look at the piston. If it looks OK, then get a carb kit and fuel lines/filter and any other little parts you need and in a couple of hours over a beer or two your saw will be running again. A saw mechanic would do that work in a half hour...over a beer.

Check the piston out yourself.

I think Optimal was one of those 80:1 oils? Don't do that.

Latest posts

Back