266xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmwilson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought this Husqvarna saw serial number 5355751 new back the 80s. I just put a new drive sprocket, drum, chain, and bar on. This drum assembly has a roller bearing on the shaft that the drum and sprocket goes onto. I have never oiled this bearing. Does this bearing have an automatic oiling system?

I have been watching some videos and reading what you guys post, and I am wanting a Stihl MS 462. My brother says don't do it! The Stihl dealer said not to or he recommended not to get an M-Tronic saw. I guess I am just hard headed.

fLi7XIb.jpg

The clutch drum needle bearing only spins at idle so there isn't much wear on it, but I believe you can grease it through the hole on the end of the crankshaft, which I rarely do. If you hear your clutch flopping around and making ringing sounds and has a lot of play in it, that is a sign your bearing or clutch is wearing out.
I think your brother and the Stihl dealer are right. The 266 is an old classic saw and one of my favourites, and yours looks almost like new. But, there is no such thing as too many saws IMO.

"I think your brother and the Stihl dealer are right."
Oh Man...That's not what I wanted to hear. You guys are gonna think I'm nuts, but I keep this saw in the house. If someone stole it... I still would like to have a new saw though.

You have to take it off and grease it by hand every so often. I don't think it has a hole in the end of the crankshaft to grease it.

When I took the plastic cover off the worm gear oil pump area, it was packed with oily sawdust. The old roller bearing had an oil film on it, and it was in good condition. I covered the new bearing with oil before I put everything together. I had to use a short piston stop to get the clutch spring assembly off. The piston stop would not screw down all the way. It was hitting something, and the piston could move freely. Is the piston stop contacting the cylinder wall?
The Husqvarna shop wanted $45 for the clutch and sprocket assembly, and $40 for labor. This was all plus tax.
Thanks guys for the advice.

Back