27 ton TSC splitter locked up warranty hassles!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCR 3 EVER

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
We bought our 27 ton Huskee spltter from TSC in 7/2007 along with an extended warranty service plan of 4 years. The ram does not move, hydraulic fluids are okay. The splitter is at cabin 220 miles from store where we bought it. Customer service said it was probably the coupler, but they have no record of our purchase. Could we go to original store and get a copy, NO we are 220 miles away. We called that store, they do NOT keep records that long ago, but luckily we had a reciept at cabin.
Since we do not have a computer or fax machine at cabin we had to go to Ferry twp library to fax it to TSC cust serv. They then said it would take 3 days to process request for parts or service or for faster service we could transport the unit back to original store. But warranty had free p/u and we would have to rent a trailer for 2 ways, stupid suggestion.

I heard of the problem and told them to try to call Carolyn@Speeco. She helped in lining up the parts at a nearby store (at store cost) and she said she would provide instructions on repair. The store never got them or did not check properly do not know which. Anyway we have parts with no idea on how to repair the thing.

TSc calls parents at their home and said they would pick up & repair the thing and would call them at cabin on this past Thurs. So they drove the 220 miles to cabin and no phone call came. On Fri. my dad called them and TSC said they had no record of purchase and needed them to send another fax!!!! :censored::censored:
THey also asked why is phone number (cabin phone number) they are listing for contact different from purchase ph. number. DUH the splitter is at cabin. Latest is the splitter will be picked up this Thurs. from some place a couple of hundred miles away and no idea what time and who knows when we will get it back. That will put us in the rears for firewood for cabin, selling and houses.

So do these couplers last only a couple of years? Also, it is not like we split alot of wood, we only put about 40 hours on it and about 15 cords if that. Can these couplers be repaired without a mechanics degree?

The warranty is nothing but a big hassle so far.
It does not pay for work we do ourselves and would probably void any future repairs. They also have to pick up the splitter and they claim the only service center is a couple hundred miles away from splitter location.

I may be in need of a splitter at home for wood I get locally and now am not so sure about the TSC splitters. They may be just a bit too cheap!!!

RCR,

Mine did the same thing but it was a fried pump. Screw TSC, they couldn't find thier ass with both hands while standing in front of a mirror.

Speeco is good to go, but they are stuck with drooling idiots assembling and selling thier product.

Thankfully, if you have a few wrenches and an allen wrench set, swapping out the Lovejoy(Made right down the road;) ) coupling ain't too difficult and is very straight forward. To make matters really simple, the blithering idiots at TSC stock the correct Lovejoy couplings but are too stupid to realize it...you'll have to find 'em yourself rather than confuse them by asking.
Look in the section with the electric fence insulators...no, I'm not kidding.

As far as replacement process goes, Carolyn does a great job of 'splainin things and even waits patiently for the cussing fits to subside.
I don't think warranty would be voided by you replacing the Lovejoy snubber, but ask when ya got her on the phone.

Whole operation with cussing and dropped wrenches should only take half an hour with allowances for figuring out the one bolt that seems impossible to get at.;)

It's crazy, but ya can't mess things up, and TSC has already proven they can.
The reason subbers fail is almost always alignment/clearance when assembled.

Good luck to ya!
And remember that eliminating the idiots at TSC will reduce the frustration.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Yeah if it simple like lovejoys always buy 2 and forget about the warranty...save that for more important things. When it's time to make hay...you have to make hay.

We bought our 27 ton Huskee spltter from TSC in 7/2007 along with an extended warranty service plan of 4 years. The ram does not move, hydraulic fluids are okay. The splitter is at cabin 220 miles from store where we bought it. Customer service said it was probably the coupler, but they have no record of our purchase. Could we go to original store and get a copy, NO we are 220 miles away. We called that store, they do NOT keep records that long ago, but luckily we had a reciept at cabin.
Since we do not have a computer or fax machine at cabin we had to go to Ferry twp library to fax it to TSC cust serv. They then said it would take 3 days to process request for parts or service or for faster service we could transport the unit back to original store. But warranty had free p/u and we would have to rent a trailer for 2 ways, stupid suggestion.

I heard of the problem and told them to try to call Carolyn@Speeco. She helped in lining up the parts at a nearby store (at store cost) and she said she would provide instructions on repair. The store never got them or did not check properly do not know which. Anyway we have parts with no idea on how to repair the thing.

TSc calls parents at their home and said they would pick up & repair the thing and would call them at cabin on this past Thurs. So they drove the 220 miles to cabin and no phone call came. On Fri. my dad called them and TSC said they had no record of purchase and needed them to send another fax!!!! :censored::censored:
THey also asked why is phone number (cabin phone number) they are listing for contact different from purchase ph. number. DUH the splitter is at cabin. Latest is the splitter will be picked up this Thurs. from some place a couple of hundred miles away and no idea what time and who knows when we will get it back. That will put us in the rears for firewood for cabin, selling and houses.

So do these couplers last only a couple of years? Also, it is not like we split alot of wood, we only put about 40 hours on it and about 15 cords if that. Can these couplers be repaired without a mechanics degree?

The warranty is nothing but a big hassle so far.
It does not pay for work we do ourselves and would probably void any future repairs. They also have to pick up the splitter and they claim the only service center is a couple hundred miles away from splitter location.

I may be in need of a splitter at home for wood I get locally and now am not so sure about the TSC splitters. They may be just a bit too cheap!!!

Another problem is that the extended warranty they sell at TSC stores is always some other company who didn't make the product giving you that warranty. It is a company who litereally sells warrantys for products they know nothing about. Combine that with the fact that most TSC employees know little or nothing about the products they are selling and you have a real problem on your hands. Like dingeryote said, the coupler is an easy repair job. You'd be better off to do it yourself. I'm sure Speeco would give you some instruction if you called them up.

Extended warranties aren't worth crap. Most will eventually pay, but the hassle will drive you crazy. If the warranty was through Speeco or TSC, might be easier to take care of problems. Thing is, Speeco/TSC aren't in the extended warranty business.

Extended warranties are a business all in themselves. What was it from the movie "Tommy Boy", something about taking a crap in a bag and tell you it is a warranty.

RCR,

Mine did the same thing but it was a fried pump. Screw TSC, they couldn't find thier ass with both hands while standing in front of a mirror.

Speeco is good to go, but they are stuck with drooling idiots assembling and selling thier product.

Thankfully, if you have a few wrenches and an allen wrench set, swapping out the Lovejoy(Made right down the road;) ) coupling ain't too difficult and is very straight forward. To make matters really simple, the blithering idiots at TSC stock the correct Lovejoy couplings but are too stupid to realize it...you'll have to find 'em yourself rather than confuse them by asking.
Look in the section with the electric fence insulators...no, I'm not kidding.

As far as replacement process goes, Carolyn does a great job of 'splainin things and even waits patiently for the cussing fits to subside.
I don't think warranty would be voided by you replacing the Lovejoy snubber, but ask when ya got her on the phone.

Whole operation with cussing and dropped wrenches should only take half an hour with allowances for figuring out the one bolt that seems impossible to get at.;)

It's crazy, but ya can't mess things up, and TSC has already proven they can.
The reason subbers fail is almost always alignment/clearance when assembled.

Good luck to ya!
And remember that eliminating the idiots at TSC will reduce the frustration.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Great post. Made me lol at least 4 times and yet completely informative. I have got the 27 tonner i guess i will just wait till mine needs fixin...then i will have this!

+1 for avoiding "extended" warrantees. I bought a mower @ TSC last month& got the ext warranty and was kicking myself loading the mower into the truck for getting it. after I paid &the cute cashier was handing me my receipt, I knew I had made a mistake when she said "don't bring the mower here" if I need warranty repair. Call this 800#. Won't make that mistake again. Talking to a cross eyed dope in india about my carb isn't a weekend well spent imo.

Great post. Made me lol at least 4 times and yet completely informative. I have got the 27 tonner i guess i will just wait till mine needs fixin...then i will have this!

LOL!!
It's a sorry shame really. Speeco makes a good product that should have few problems, but they are quite often incorrectly finish assembled at a TSC, and problems start happening.

If yours burps, just call Speeco and ask for Carolyn period.
Dadgum outstanding customer service.

If your coupling is lined up properly, it should take years and years for it to croak, and then the fix is cheap. Just have Carolyn walk ya through it, or get the instructions from speeco.

There really oughtta be better regulation of these so called "extended warranty" companys. Most seem to be complete shams.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

TSC warranty person told my dad if he does repair with parts he purchases, he will not get reimbursed and may void warranty on parts connected to that coupling. My dad got sick of dealing with hassles and had them pick it up yesterday. Miraculously, they actually showed up and told my dad he could have it back in a week but nobody can get there in the middle of next week. Promises promise, we will see if they want to deliver it.

Meanwhile,we will try to contact Carolyn and have her fax us or email us instructions on the repair for future repairs of this part. Hope it is as easy as everyone says it is.

The 27 ton has not given any problems until now and we were looking at possibly purchasing that version of splitter for our house to save us renting one every summer, but usually we only use it a few weekends.
It would not be logical to rent a trailer to haul our splitter from cabin to home for a weekend to split the large Red oak that fell in my brother's yard and then haul it back again. Or maybe just get a cheap as possible larger 7000# capability trailer to haul more wood per trip and the splitter home.

Thanks for the info on the coupler repair and dealings with TSC lack of knowledge cust. service.

You guys no doubt know where I'm coming from on this, but here I go anyway.........

You purchase a splitter from a store that does not have a shop, and provides no service. You then also purchase an extended warranty from that same store, so that you can rely on that nonexistant service entity for twice as long. Then you take the splitter over 200 miles away from the store. Round trip pick up and delivery for this item will now be over 800 miles! At an average speed of 50MPH, that's 16 hours of windshield time. And it's supposed to be free???

Not trying to get into whose right or wrong here, but is this in any way a realistic arrangement in anyones eyes? For either the customer or the seller? Agreements like this sound good, but are pretty unrealistic in the real world when something breaks, aren't they?

You guys no doubt know where I'm coming from on this, but here I go anyway.........

You purchase a splitter from a store that does not have a shop, and provides no service. You then also purchase an extended warranty from that same store, so that you can rely on that nonexistant service entity for twice as long. Then you take the splitter over 200 miles away from the store. Round trip pick up and delivery for this item will now be over 800 miles! At an average speed of 50MPH, that's 16 hours of windshield time. And it's supposed to be free???

Not trying to get into whose right or wrong here, but is this in any way a realistic arrangement in anyones eyes? For either the customer or the seller? Agreements like this sound good, but are pretty unrealistic in the real world when something breaks, aren't they?

The store we purchase the splitter from was aware that we were using the splitter at another location, we were advise by warranty people a service center was located very near within 50 miles anyway. But not now.
There is a store near our property about a 20 minute drive each way. That manager agreed to sell the parts to us at cost per Carolyn.
THe problem is with warranty people who lose records, take their time looking at the records and then giving wrong info and asking for more & more & more records.

Warranty and insurance co. just take your money and deny claims for every little penny you want. Especially auto insurance companies. Our auto ins co is denying our claim due to rust on our 10 yr old vehicles saying rust was there previous to road damage which made car undriveable, but the rust did not make the car undriveable the busted part did. The service center is working with us since we have to now pay for it and will try to get cost down since we are loyal 6+ yr long customers. We usually get discounts on labor or free oil changes. Unlike the insurance company where I have been with them for only 45 years with only 1 lifetime claim.

If all service centers and warranty people dealt with customers this way there would be no need for the complaint division. The bad warranty people really do make money off the warranties since people probably get sick of dealing with them and quit, thus not getting their money's worth. THe good warranty people probably break even or make a profit from return customers. I had a extended warranty on my HD 27 ". I usually buy warranties because everything breaks for me. I think I got my money's worth though since the TV tube needed replacement the 2nd year and then the main circuit board and power circuit board, 3 service calls. Everything but the speakers and outside case was replaced.

I may get the TSC splitter but the warranty is worthless.

Let me know if you need any assistance. NEW handles those warranties, and I have a contact there.

The problem with the receipt, etc. might have had to do with the phone number you used when you first bought the splitter. If you don't remember the number, or give NEW a different number, then they won't be able to find the history on your purchase.

glad I paid extra ...........

for the American CLS.

don't need no stinkin' warranty if it's built right with pride in the first place.

27 ton huskee Fails again after 8 hours

The rubber cushion between the metal couplers wore out completely after only 8 hours of use. We split only max sizes of 15" diam. or less. no crotches. ONLY 8 HOURS

Warranty is repairing the stupid thing again and neighbor is storing it at his house so we do not have to make the 2x500 mile trip for pick up/ delivery. For the trouble the neighbor the neighbor gets to test the thing for us on some wood he needs to split. At this point we are only hoping for a third repair and the lemon law clause to take effect.

Then what splitter do we get? another TSC,doubtful. but maybe the true Speeco not huskee TSC?

The rubber cushion between the metal couplers wore out completely after only 8 hours of use. We split only max sizes of 15" diam. or less. no crotches. ONLY 8 HOURS

Warranty is repairing the stupid thing again and neighbor is storing it at his house so we do not have to make the 2x500 mile trip for pick up/ delivery. For the trouble the neighbor the neighbor gets to test the thing for us on some wood he needs to split. At this point we are only hoping for a third repair and the lemon law clause to take effect.

Then what splitter do we get? another TSC,doubtful. but maybe the true Speeco not huskee TSC?

It's gotta be way off axis to wear out that fast. WOW!!

Make sure to contact Speeco and let 'em know what's going on Lemon law or not. They need to know they have a 7 thumbed and blind Babboon doing warranty repairs. 4 bolts, and 2 set screws... it's gotta be some kinda record.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

SpeeCo would like to help

Hello, I am sorry to hear you are having so many problems with your log splitter. If you would like, I would be happy to call the repair shop today and offer some technical advice. It seems the coupler is either not being installed correctly, or there is some other root cause that has not been determined. Would you please email me your phone# and I will give you a call today?

[email protected]

Thanks

Kevin at SpeeCo.

Last edited:
The 27 ton has not given any problems until now and we were looking at possibly purchasing that version of splitter for our house to save us renting one every summer, but usually we only use it a few weekends.
It would not be logical to rent a trailer to haul our splitter from cabin to home for a weekend to split the large Red oak that fell in my brother's yard and then haul it back again. Or maybe just get a cheap as possible larger 7000# capability trailer to haul more wood per trip and the splitter home.

Oh come on

This whole post is about how unhappy you are with TSC and the hassles involved. Why would you go back for more?

How much does it cost to rent a splitter? Around here $75 will get you a Timberwolf, American, or Iron and Oak for a day. $60 if you take it on a weekday or for 3 days. Assuming a splitter is going to cost over $2000, your looking at 35 rentals before you break even, not counting maintenance.

If you do want a splitter, pony up $2500 and get a entry level Timberwolf or American with 4 way, commercial Honda engine and a dealer to stand behind it.

My 2 cents

Take Care

John

Oh come on

This whole post is about how unhappy you are with TSC and the hassles involved. Why would you go back for more?

How much does it cost to rent a splitter? Around here $75 will get you a Timberwolf, American, or Iron and Oak for a day. $60 if you take it on a weekday or for 3 days. Assuming a splitter is going to cost over $2000, your looking at 35 rentals before you break even, not counting maintenance.

If you do want a splitter, pony up $2500 and get a entry level Timberwolf or American with 4 way, commercial Honda engine and a dealer to stand behind it.

My 2 cents

Take Care

John

Is a Huskee really a Speeco splitter? Speeco splitters aren't sold at TSC except the 5 ton electric model. Or is Huskee the budget version of a Speeco? Hopefully Speeco will be able to help us out.

Splitter is 250 miles away at property it would be EXTREMELY inconvenient to have to go pick up a rental every weekend we go to to property and stay an extra day just to return the thing. Also at least for me it takes a day to just split a face cord and load into a 4'x8' trailer. Nearest rental place of anykind is at least 15 miles one way from cabin, a slow trip with a splitter in tow.

Purchasing a $2500 splitter, I can barely afford gas to go on a working vacation to property this year to cut wood and hopefully use the splitter long enough before it breaks down again.

Latest posts

Back