27 ton TSC splitter locked up warranty hassles!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are having so many problems with your log splitter. If you would like, I would be happy to call the repair shop today and offer some technical advice. It seems the coupler is either not being installed correctly, or there is some other root cause that has not been determined. Would you please email me your phone# and I will give you a call today?

[email protected]

Thanks

Kevin at SpeeCo.

I think I'd take Kevin up on this offer, I think speeco is a good company, & willing to provide service. I know a lot of people that have gotten good service from these machines. It can't be a huge deal to fix by someone that's familiar with small engine type repairs. A C

Is a Huskee really a Speeco splitter? Speeco splitters aren't sold at TSC except the 5 ton electric model. Or is Huskee the budget version of a Speeco? Hopefully Speeco will be able to help us out.

Yep, it's a Speeco. They will help you out - just let them. They are very good folks. I had some problems with my 35 ton, and TSC was okay (just okay!) about it, but the warranty shop that did the repairs was pathetic. Speeco got involved and got it straightened out.

One of the downsides of getting a TSC model is that they are sometimes put together incorrectly or poorly, or both. :(

Talk to Speeco. They'll work with you to make it right.

Purchasing a $2500 splitter, I can barely afford gas to go on a working vacation to property this year to cut wood and hopefully use the splitter long enough before it breaks down again.

Yeah, some folks don't seem to get the fact that some of use can't just toss $2500 at a commercial splitter. "Just spend the money! Why mess with the consumer grade stuff?" Well, some of us don't HAVE the money!

For me, the $1500 for my splitter was only possible because of some side work I do that pays well. It doesn't come by often, but it pays well when it does. If it hadn't been for one good side job, I'd still be splitting by hand.

Even if I had the money, it just doesn't make sense to spend that coin when I'm splitting just for myself. Yeah, if I ever hit $100 million on the lottery, I might, but not while I'm a working man.

Yes, there are better splitters out there, but Speeco builds a GOOD unit, and I don't think there's a better value for the money. :cheers:

Other than being American made (which does count), I just don't see that the bigger names like American, Brave, & Iron & Oak have over the Speeco. I'm not saying they're not good units - they are. But they're not $1000 and more better.

Yeah, some folks don't seem to get the fact that some of use can't just toss $2500 at a commercial splitter. "Just spend the money! Why mess with the consumer grade stuff?" Well, some of us don't HAVE the money!

Mark, all good points, the stuff I didn't quote included.

Pro grade stuff is great if you can swing it, but let's face it, many of us are "consumer" type users, I see many posts on here asking for advice on a splitter to do from 3-10 cords a year. If that's not consumer use, I don't know what is.

I'll never chide anyone for buying a "consumer" product, be it a splitter, saw, or whathaveyou, as long as it's a decent piece of equipment. My neighbor's Huskee works great for him, and I just might buy one to supplement my big old PTO splitter.

Mark, all good points, the stuff I didn't quote included.

Pro grade stuff is great if you can swing it, but let's face it, many of us are "consumer" type users, I see many posts on here asking for advice on a splitter to do from 3-10 cords a year. If that's not consumer use, I don't know what is.

I'll never chide anyone for buying a "consumer" product, be it a splitter, saw, or whathaveyou, as long as it's a decent piece of equipment. My neighbor's Huskee works great for him, and I just might buy one to supplement my big old PTO splitter.

:agree2: I`ve used the Huskee 22 ton, it`s a decent macine.

Other than being American made (which does count), I just don't see that the bigger names like American, Brave, & Iron & Oak have over the Speeco. I'm not saying they're not good units - they are. But they're not $1000 and more better.[/QUOTE]

actually,I have used them both.there is a difference! without a doubt.

I take the approach that the likelyhood of poor assembly is very high on splitters, or any other power equipment. I check all hyraulic connectors and couplings when new, and every season after that. The days of depending on a quality product in this country are long gone. You have to be your own QC department.

3-4 cords /year does not justify commercial splitter

Even though there is no hour meter on splitter we write down start & stop times to monitior hours for maintenance. Coupler is not even mentioned in maintenance schedule.
It took 3 yrs from 3 days ago to put only 50 hours of use on the splitter, at approx hour 42 the first coupler failed.
After the first repair by TSC the repair lasted 8 hours before the rubber cushion failed. Only the constant monitoring of the coupler alerted us to the cushion failure.

We only split an average of 3-4 cords/year for personal and some selling so purchasing a commercial pro model is overkill unless we were getting paid large amounts of money for low quantities of firewood we sell (1 cord split between 3 people).

I am unable to physically handle splitting anymore firewood than what we need at our house or at cabin during hunting season.

Other than being American made (which does count), I just don't see that the bigger names like American, Brave, & Iron & Oak have over the Speeco. I'm not saying they're not good units - they are. But they're not $1000 and more better.

actually,I have used them both.there is a difference! without a doubt.[/QUOTE]

What are the differences you have noticed?

In my opinion your problem is in your first sentence of the original post. If you are going to buy something like a splitter why go to a place like TSC, Lowe's or such especially if you aren't comfortable working on the unit. I'm not saying these places can't "treat" you right but you are much better off going to a dealer with a service dept. Your chances of getting the run around are alot less when you walk in the door and the guy you bought the splitter from remembers you buying that splitter. The dealer can't give you 10% off for opening a store branded credit card but when things like this happen most people would give that $100 back to make things easier. I think there are alot of people on here with the speeco's and have good luck but having a service facility trying to work on it that doesn't know what they are doing would make me more nervous than purchasing it at TSC. Just my opinion and good luck.

Hello, I am sorry to hear you are having so many problems with your log splitter. If you would like, I would be happy to call the repair shop today and offer some technical advice. It seems the coupler is either not being installed correctly, or there is some other root cause that has not been determined. Would you please email me your phone# and I will give you a call today?

[email protected]

Thanks

Kevin at SpeeCo.

Kevin monitors this list. When I had minor issues with my 35T he took care of them. See if he can recommend a shop that knows what they are doing.

My el-cheapo HF splitter is 10 years old doing avg of 8 cords a year, same coupler all that time. Your engine /pump mount assembly is out of position. Or possibly is the wrong mount.

A friend of mine just had a twin cylinder Kholer engine repaired, Like you it is 150 miles from here. He brought the unit down here to a very reputable shop. Got it back, ran it for less than fifteen minutes and it blew up. I have not heard the outcome as yet. But I know he took back last Monday, not a happy camper.
He is like myself, we do 98% of all our repairs our selves. At times it is better to employ ( theoretically) someone with more knowledge/tools in a particular area with the idea it will be done correctly. Sadly this fast becoming a futile approach.

Back