272xp or stihl equivalent

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So I have been thinking about it and id really like a 70cc saw now for 350$ or less I can get a husqvarna. I'd love an 038 magnum but those saws demand a price. I consider myself a stihl guy but I cut wood for a save money on propane.

The equivalent was the 044. They had more issues with bottom ends than the 266 and 272. They were very prone to freezing in weather fluctuations from what I saw. Good power and chain speed but longer reliability made the money.

So what do you want to do cut?

Mainly ash since it's all dieing and some maple. I don't need a 70cc saw but the 290 has been modded as far as I will take it and it will cut 20 inch ash with no issues but it's not fast.

Stihl demands a higher price for a 70cc saw and I don' think it's worth it.

You should be able to score a 272 or an 038 if your ready to pounce when one pops up. The 272 is a mean saw. I'd find one of those. The 038 had like 3 different engine sizes but the the other guy is right, the 044 is the comparable Stihl.

I feel like the outboard clutch is something that you either love or hate. It doesn't bother me. Of course I'd like an 038 magnum but if i got a cheap av that needed a piston I could build an 038 mag same with a husky 66 or something similar. That was the plan with my 028 but there's nothing wrong with it. I noticed with the huskys that a 266 and 272 are almost the same price. I saw a 575 on eBay for not much more so that's y I'm interested in the husky.

What's the difference between the 372 and 272

044/440 is a solid saw but finding one in decent shape is going to cost you. I have no experience with the 038.

272 is a nice saw and one can be pieced together on a budget from a 61, 266, or 268 carcass.

372 family is a newer design, inboard clutch, better AV, and a bit more power. You could also find a 365 and either put the larger cylinder on it or if you can find one of the 70 cc 365's, I believe it just needs transfer cover work.

i would undercut my cc's and get an 036 before a POS 038 lol keep an eye out for an 044 or newer saw and you will be much happier in the long run. if your a stihl guy, don't let a couple bucks stop you from getting what you want. pick empties roadside if you have to lol

If you see one, don't discount a Dolmar 120si. In my opinion its a better saw than both the 038 and the 272. I actually prefer using my 120 over my Husky 372xp and it blows the doors off my 268xp. Usually cheaper, if a little harder to get. 272 is a very reliable and easy to work on saw however and always worth grabbing.

i would undercut my cc's and get an 036 before a POS 038 lol keep an eye out for an 044 or newer saw and you will be much happier in the long run. if your a stihl guy, don't let a couple bucks stop you from getting what you want. pick empties roadside if you have to lol

But I'm comparing apples to apples and there's definite price difference. I'm not trying to save money by buying a low quality saw. Yes I'd love an 044 or ms440 would be even nicer.

If you see one, don't discount a Dolmar 120si. In my opinion its a better saw than both the 038 and the 272. I actually prefer using my 120 over my Husky 372xp and it blows the doors off my 268xp. Usually cheaper, if a little harder to get. 272 is a very reliable and easy to work on saw however and always worth grabbing.

I do check out dolmar when I'm killing time looking at eBay. I'd buy a dolmar but the 120 is a hard one to find.

What is the reasoning on that?

The only two reasons I care about are the ease of putting on and taking off the bar/chain and if the brake gremlins engage the brake somehow with the clutch cover off the saw I don't need to put the clutch cover in a vise and do screwdrivers gymnastics to disengage it.

Some folks talk about getting the bar pinched in a cut and still being able to remove the saw from the bar as one of the advantages of the inboard clutch. I suppose it is but not when I take 2-4 saws with me wherever I will be cutting. That is more of a logger advantage.

There are advantages to outboards too but I don't care enough about those advantages to care enough about those saws that have them.

Latest posts

Back