272xp or stihl equivalent

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The hard part is finding a nice clean 044 for a price I like. Smaller saws are easy to find in new shape because everyone owns a farm boss and never used it.

You just need to put the time in looking, Multiple times a day. One will pop up but you need to be quick on the trigger when it does

And the price YOU like just might not be current value... that's why I said save some more pennies if you need to. Or else you may never find... sorry to say but that's the truth.

It's not about spending more money than I have it's about the value of the 272 vs the 044. Usually if it says stihl it demands a higher price. I know every husky guy would argue that exact point. You get more value for your dollar with husqvarna. I'm stuck in a hard place here. I'm no hurry to get one but want to start looking.

I have an old 044 but haven't really ran it yet. I tell ya though, I use to have two 272's and I'd take another one any day of the week and you'll definitely do better in the bang for the buck department.

sounds like the thing is 272vs044.....value wise....think ya gonna pay a premium for a 044 in decent shape as they carry a legend type rep....I just lucked onto a well used 044 and they are quite nice have been running it back to back with a 372 I built....thing is the 272 is kinda a different generation of saw compared to the 044.....in there own families...but you were talking bout a 038...I think that's a closer comparision .......in that case I think the 272 would be better value cause a 38mag has a following or a cult following...plus getting old and is heavy...know idea of size ya cutting but if stihl look for a nice 036/036 pro if husky don't rule out a 262/or real good value in a 261 and swap the piston and clutch if ya need to. 70cc great value in a std 372.....id say if ya gonna go husky go with the 372 if ya gotta have 70cc...

good luck
the can

I believe my twin 272's were 97' models. My 044 is a 1992 so that kind of makes them the same generation. Not sure when the 372 replaced 272.

Stihl 044 or MS440. My first one was only $7 with a 32” bar. I got super lucky and I had to buy a new gas tank for it. I’d stay away from those hookskys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the deals are out there I got my 028 for 85 dollars and it's a runner and all original. I burn about 2.5 cord a year or less and I cut for 2 years ahead so dropping 5 to 6 hundred on a saw hurts and when my 64cc 290 is getting the job done it doesn't make sense. But if I could spend 300 or so on a nice 70cc saw I'd be happy. I don't really like new saws mainly due to the price. There are time tested proven saws out there that are more than enough for me and I enjoy that sound and power of a saw that the epa hasn't messed with and no autotune.

There are deals to be had.. luck has a lot to do with it... I've never paid more than $50 for a saw.. I paid $45 for my ported 044, needed a recoil rope, 6/10 condition, runs flawlessly and despite being a "husky guy", it is one of my go-to saws and like it a lot. I have a 394 I put together out of 2 donor saws, yeah, it's a bigger saw, but is really healthy... I also have a big bore 064 I quite like too.. look at pawn shops, yard sales, etc.
If you want an adventure you could get one of the knockoffs and put it together.

I thought about buying a 660 kit and putting that together but from reading about it on this site I don't want any head aches of wondering if it's the Chinese parts that don't work or something I did.

Lately, I have found 044s hard to move at their old prices. I used to be able to sell ragged out ones that were complete and running for 450 or more. Now I cannot get 350. That prompted me to abandon 044s altogether at least for the next year or so. It seems people are real into the 50cc saws now. Decent 346s, 550s, and 261s will get 4-450 around here so I focus on those now.

Lately, I have found 044s hard to move at their old prices. I used to be able to sell ragged out ones that were complete and running for 450 or more. Now I cannot get 350. That prompted me to abandon 044s altogether at least for the next year or so. It seems people are real into the 50cc saws now. Decent 346s, 550s, and 261s will get 4-450 around here so I focus on those now.
I wonder if the kit saws and great deals online for the 50 cc Maryuma saws knocked down the used market.

Last spring I had people messaging me trying to buy some of my old saws. Now one of those has been for sale for quite some time with no hits.

i'm willing to blame Hutzl. when those chinky 66's came out i noticed 66's had to be priced silly low to even get a nibble and even then you'd end up with a tire kicker. i gave up and sold all stihls local for the last year or so. there's actually a tool here building them and selling them with no mention of being AM, he doesn't say they are a stihl either though.

http://www.usedalberni.com/classified-ad/Chainsaw_30808212

Sounds like there are lots of folks selling them as genuine or just posting pics and not giving accurate descriptions so the buyer assumes its a genuine stihl.

I do not follow many of the FB sites but lots of folks fighting about them too for whatever reason. I suppose now that the rogue saw builders have been chased to the far ends of the galaxy, the dramatic types need something new to fight about LOL.

Usually if it says stihl it demands a higher price. I know every husky guy would argue that exact point. You get more value for your dollar with husqvarna..
A real Husqvarna guy would neither know that or care.

It's not about spending more money than I have it's about the value of the 272 vs the 044. Usually if it says stihl it demands a higher price. I know every husky guy would argue that exact point. You get more value for your dollar with husqvarna. I'm stuck in a hard place here. I'm no hurry to get one but want to start looking.
It's about you not been able to accept the things you can not change then.
If you want to address that further then we could discuss it as a group... seriously?
In the mean time,what even you do; Don't get a Husky.
That nothing but revenge sex.
Very empty.

I'm not a Stihl guy, but pretty sure the 290 in not 64cc, more like 56cc I think.
There are good 50cc saws that cut faster than a 290.

49mm 290 kit makes it a 390 piston and cylinder.

A real Husqvarna guy would neither know that or care.

It's about you not been able to accept the things you can not change then.
If you want to address that further then we could discuss it as a group... seriously?
In the mean time,what even you do; Don't get a Husky.
That nothing but revenge sex.
Very empty.

I already own one husky and a few poulans. I had the husky first then decided to try stihl.

Find a newer 365, trim baffles out and have a nice cutting 70cc saw. Just hunt for a nice one for under $400. They are out there. :rock:

Latest posts

Back