272xp won't restart after refueling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron B

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me with a problem that just started occurring yesterday. The saw is a 1997 272xp that I bought off a forum member 7 or 8 years ago and has run great. I re-ringed it two years ago.

When the saw runs out of gas, no matter the procedure, it won't restart. I pulled the plug and checked for spark, got it. The plug is dry. It doesn't matter how many times I pull, and different procedures - full throttle, no throttle, choke, or no choke, it just won't start. I have dripped fuel into the intake and the saw will start. It will stay running after doing this as long as I need it to and the saw runs great.

Is this vapor lock, or am I overlooking something? I will say that after the saw starts, it is running through the entire tank of fuel when it shuts off again (out of gas). I have a ton of oak logs I am bucking up and have only shut it off a couple times before it needed to be refueled, and in those instances, it starts right up. This is only occurring after it has been run to empty.

Thanks in advance to any help with this.

Latest posts

Back