28" bar Skiptooth of Full Comp Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushwackr

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Im goin to use a 28" bar on my 046 mag. I have bigger wood to cut my quesion is should I use a skip tooth or full comp chain on it? what you think my bad on title skiptooth OR full comp

Last edited:
Full comp if you don't mind sharpening a lot of cutters. It will be smoother and cut faster as long as you don't bog it down with too much pressure.

if im bucking 24 inch or bigger wood i like skip ,if limbing a lot i run full comp in bigger wood the skip will not bog the saw as much ,ive found limbing with skip is kinda grabby unless rpms are up ,i like the full comp for general firewood cutting

32" is the cross over point where skip gets faster (due to chip flow) than full comp. anything less than 32 is faster in full comp (and smoother) these numbers are based on the amount of chain in the wood not necessarily the bar length.

will my saw run a 32" I found one of them for free to me if I can use it:blob2:

ok thats no problem I have mine wide open already, I will run the 32
ok on the chain thing should I run a skip or full work fine? im cutting oaks

Full comp if you don't mind sharpening a lot of cutters. It will be smoother and cut faster as long as you don't bog it down with too much pressure.

This.

Most of us using skip tooth are working with more fibrous softwoods - so we like the chip clearance and the fact it keeps the revs up and is faster to sharpen. Having said that, a 28" with a skip on an 046 mag should be able to cut about anything if you don't lean on it too much.

I"ve run full comp on a 41" bar on the 660 and 395 in hardwoods. It seems to do fine. I have a grinder so I run full comp on everything.

Last edited:
32" is the cross over point where skip gets faster (due to chip flow) than full comp. anything less than 32 is faster in full comp (and smoother) these numbers are based on the amount of chain in the wood not necessarily the bar length.

True to a point but it depends on how powerful the saw is although I do run skip on any bars I use over 32". I run both skip and non sip on my 32" bars.
I ran non skip on a 42" bar on my 3120 once and it was a pig. It kept bucking and kicking and trying to kill me. Exactly the same chain with 50% of the cutters ground off cut like a champ :)

Also - Because the Stihl semi-skip is not the easiest chain to find, I've just recently tried the Oregon 72CK and it really rips. I think I may even like it better than the Stihl stuff. Still toying around with the 2.

Mike - I just get my RSLHK at the dealer. I'll have to try some of that Oregon sometime on my 36"er for the 660. I've been using full skip on that.

I picked up that bar and its a 32" but its a 3/8 x .063. I would like to stay with a .050 chains like all my others. can I run that .063 chain without changing anything on my saw? I think the clutch rim is plenty wide enough?

I picked up that bar and its a 32" but its a 3/8 x .063. I would like to stay with a .050 chains like all my others. can I run that .063 chain without changing anything on my saw? I think the clutch rim is plenty wide enough?

Rims are not gauge dependent just pitch. As long as the bar and chain match.

ok thats good so what the big diffrence in the chains besides widths, one pull harder than the other?

My ported 359 w/ 24" bar cuts a lot faster with skip vs comp. The oiler has a hard time keeping up with comp as well.

Latest posts

Back