Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We got in 3 270's and 3 280's back with the spring order, or thereabouts.

They had the recalled vent caps, turns out the machine that installs them didn't push them on completely. easy fix.

We have sold at least 2, probably gotten more in than the 3 on the big order.

All the local dealers here have had the 280 in stock for some time. The 270 was out last September/October. Are all the dealers serviced by your distributor still waiting on them ? I would try a different distributor.

Bill

I think I missed the discussion when these things first came out. In a nutshell, what are they like?

Hey Stihltech, must be that Stihl is angry with you, probably for hanging out with Husky fans or something, LOL. I just looked at a 280 at Botting`s Farm Supply in Hannibal, NY on Monday and I`m sure that I saw one at Davis Equipment in Oswego and of course CCD. Where do you get your saws from, Virginia Beach? I know that saws that didn`t exist in the pipeline out of VB during the April ice storm were picked up at the center in Connecticut, Hmmm....

Russ

<p>Howdy-<p/>
<p>We're selling off all our MS-280s, we even put one up on e-bay. They're just not heavy enough to handle logging. They'd be excellent for a tree trimmer's ground crew or firewood cutters. They rev up and hold a power band very similar to an 034 av, but with a little more top end due to thinner piston rings. They're definitely lighter than an 034. Thanks, JJ<p/>

Last edited:
<p>Howdy Husky 288<p/>
<p>These 280 saws run good, they have a smooth, quick powerband. They're just not heavy enough for a truly professional application like logging. I and some others have posted on the potential abilities for a 280 but I think it's safe to say it would be a great homeowner's or fire wood cutter's saw. I would even use it on a ground crew for a tree trimming company. I tried this saw stock with a 20" bar and .325" pitch chain and it performs well. I also tried a modified 280 with a 24" bar and round chisel .325" skip and it did very well, but when the full length of the bar is buried it can still bog down. I would say it's at the level of the earliest 034 Supers but with much less weight. Also- the stock mounts are quite soft and the 24" bar length is as long as you'd want to go. Otherwise you'll be going through mounts fast.<p/>

Walt

Walt perished in the same crash that claimed Buddy Holly.
So the Howdy intro is worn out.

I will bet the farm that the 270/280 is pure junk!

But I am just being a troblemaker!

Don't start anything serious- You Tennessee redneck!
My doctor has told me to abstain from bantering with your
kind, as it makes my blood pressure get too high!

Latest posts

Back