288 Throttle Lever

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i know you guys i am probably wrong. i know alot of the 288's have decomp valves but i've never seen one on that side of the cylinder. i've never worked on a 288 lite though. all the 288's i've worked on have the decomp set up by the air exit just like the 365, 372, 385/390 etc... whereas that one has it more like a 394/395. that was my only evidence because i have seen the 288 chinese cylinders and they are all in that location. somebody who has another known original 288 lite can straighten me out then i'll have it burnt in my brain for good. right now i am unsure just because i haven't seen one. i believe half of what i see and nothing of what i hear thats why pics are so important on this site or really nothing happened :msp_smile: i have a 288 case with the oem cylinder and it's missing everything else but the decomp is where it would be on 372. it's not a lite though. the cylinders in good running condition but has broken fins.

I have never seen a 288 with a decomp on the R. I also checked all IPL's and none showed the decomp on the R. The first decomps on 288's showed up on the 1991 IPL. I hope Bob or ST will drop in and add some info.

I have never seen a 288 with a decomp on the R. I also checked all IPL's and none showed the decomp on the R. The first decomps on 288's showed up on the 1991 IPL. I hope Bob or ST will drop in and add some info.

ya for sure nmurph. i'm really interested in the answer to this question. didn't mean to do any hijacking but it is 288 related. this 288 i have here has a single ignition module which eveyone protested and the decomp button on the right. the serial number plate says hisqvarna 288. i will try get some pics uploaded of it later on tonight to show you guys. what other cylinders could fit on the 288 that have the decomp on the right. i can't think of any.

omg now CAD is kicking in. i have temptations to build this 288 now. i have the tank, case, cylinder, and muffler. anybody got any parts? i know i'll go to the trading post or swap meet thread once i get everything sorted out with it.

i wonder if it's a difference between the states and canadian sold 288's. never heard of anything like that with any saw though. this 288 carcass i have hear is a virgin. i have no idea it got retired so early. i think the case doesn't even have a scratch on it and no sawdust on it whatsoever. the cylinder even looks near new and so does the piston from view through the ports. the only thing is the broken fins and i've seen guys running saws with way more broken fins. somebody on here has got to have seen a 288 like this. doesn't make any sense. especially because a saw builder hasn't seen one. it also has that big spring mount in the front so i know it is a 288.

The one in my pics above is an early non-decomp bought from a retired logger in BC. I see no differences between it and any others I've seen.

everyone can say they haven't seen anything different and thats fine just let me get pics up tonight of this one i have and you guys can tell me what you think. i have a feeling yer gonna say that you haven't seen a 288 like that before.

I'm only aware of decos being on the left side. IPL's only show it that way from what I can find. Plus, the top covers for those saws all have the corresponding hole on the left side.

i wonder if the 288 i have has a AM cylinder on it. i don't have the top cover to see the hole. i'm not srgueing with you guys at all. i just want to show you this one i have. it's really got me wondering now. i was sure the id tag on that saw said 288. i'll know more later when i'm at the saw. you guys be sure to check back here around 7:30 to see the pics. i'm really interested in what you guys have to say. it seems everything about this saw i have has been an arguement. i know of another 288 exactly like this one with the exact same set up and i have seen the ones without the decomp but none with them on the left. you know more then me so i will post pics for you guys to see. should be interesting. do you think i should start another thread. i feel bad for hijacking this guys thread. up to you guys. if you wanna see the pics i will post them where you want. i will get off this guys thread and let him carry on. sorry for the hijack bud. was only meant to state my experience with the decomps on these saws.

Yes, I had an early 288 with the base gasket deleted and it was a finger breaker unless you pulled it just past TDC and then pulled it like you hated it.

I'm not sure but I feel the cylinder is original; doesn't really matter at this point as it is what it is. The fact that it should be very tough to pull over with out the decomp, and I haven't had to use this one yet tells me that it is very down from where it should be. When I get my two 372's done and the Super XL, I'll pull this one down. I want to open it up but right now I don't have time, space, or money. She will wait patiently..:msp_smile:

This one is pulling 200 and still climbing. It starts pretty easy when you press the magic button.

[video=youtube;avAWPkr93OU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avAWPkr93OU[/video]

so guys i decided not to start another thread because i looked at the saw and turns out i was seeing things or not remembering how it was. i apologize for any confusion. my 288 has the decomp in the same spot. must be all the 390's i'm around all the time that got the image of the right side decomp burnt in my head. now i will remember for ever because i was wrong. just decided to let you guys know anyways.

Latest posts

Back