288 top cover

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRoland

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello, everyone. I have a new (to me) 288 that I bought from another arboristsite member. It's a good saw, runs real well. The problem I have is the front left top cover bolt hole is wallowed out, so the screw will not stay in. Occasionally I will look down while running the saw and note the screw spinning.
I thought of using loctite or JB weld to hold screw in, but then it wouldn't allow me to check/ clean the filter. I then thought of cutting the top of the cover, and running a "Green Weenie" style filter, then loctite on screw. But the saw has a K&N filter on it now, and I'm happy with how it's running.
So my question is, does anyone make a newer style top cover for the 288 (like on a 372 for example) where you just pop the clips to access the filter. Or if not, how should I solve this problem. I've owned 2 288 huskys and it's been that same screw both times, so I'm thinking some of you with more experience have dealt with this before? Thanks in advance.

Back