288 XP...... let the adventures begin.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Bob, I thought you'd be interested in seeing mine all finished. Sure cuts fast with an 8 pin and 20inch bar! Still waiting for my new low top to come.
View attachment 792893 View attachment 792894 View attachment 792895

That is a really nice clean example, nice work.
I took the 8 pin off of mine to fit the 36"bar- but with the 24"no problem at all.
That looks like good solid dry gum you are cutting, bet that old dear didn't batt an eyelid at it and that stuff can really test your oiler settings!

That is a really nice clean example, nice work.
I took the 8 pin off of mine to fit the 36"bar- but with the 24"no problem at all.
That looks like good solid dry gum you are cutting, bet that old dear didn't batt an eyelid at it and that stuff can really test your oiler settings!

Yes very solid, hard old man gum that's been down for 11 years - luckily the ol 288xp oils like the Exxon Valdez!

That is an "interesting" one.
If the compression is still there- first thing I would be doing is swapping out that starter handle.
Must be reasonable common for the four recoil cover screws to either vibrate out, or have a tendency to flog out the threads?

I think if I ever keep one of these for myself I might try a stihl elasto start on it. Would look way out of place but alot nice for pulling over high comp saws.

That is an "interesting" one.
If the compression is still there- first thing I would be doing is swapping out that starter handle.
Must be reasonable common for the four recoil cover screws to either vibrate out, or have a tendency to flog out the threads?

The compression isn't too high yet and the timing is advanced 1/3 of the key. It doesn't kick any worse than anything else I have. Just using the right technique for high compression saws helps.

The saw came to me with ugly mismatched fasteners in the recoil. I use blue Loctite on all fasteners.

The compression isn't too high yet and the timing is advanced 1/3 of the key. It doesn't kick any worse than anything else I have. Just using the right technique for high compression saws helps.

The saw came to me with ugly mismatched fasteners in the recoil. I use blue Loctite on all fasteners.

I agree, those saws are not hard to start, if you know how to start them- but that starter handle looks like it belongs on a Briggs & Stratton mower- not a Husqvarna saw!:surprised3:

I agree, those saws are not hard to start, if you know how to start them- but that starter handle looks like it belongs on a Briggs & Stratton mower- not a Husqvarna saw!:surprised3:

That's the original OEM starter handle. Hard to come by these days. Also suck for using lol.

That's the original OEM starter handle. Hard to come by these days. Also suck for using lol.

Yep, OEM for that early recoil cover with the small square decal- but that doesn't mean it still looks like it should be on a saw and would look more at home on a 4 stroke mower. :laugh:

Latest posts

Back