288XP Cylinder Identification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some 288 jugs are a little too easy to make loads of compression in.......others are not that way. One evidently has a smaller combustion chamber.....
After a few a few tanks mine is right at 200 Randy. Not sure how much this starter would like anything to much north of that with no decomp.

This one has no decomp.
I don't think any 288 KS cylinders had a decomp (I'm sure I'm wrong tho). When mine arrived from Mike it had a squish of .022 and the aforementioned ridonkulus compression. Putting in a standard base gasket brought the compression down to 200 (I didn't bother checking squish), and made the saw barely tolerable to start. That solution was way too straightforward for me, so I paid Terry Landrum to put in the decomp you see in the picture. The decomp increased the CC volume, and it has less compression than before, but it is so much more nicer to interact with now.......

Bringing back an old thread rather than starting a new one.

Maybe you all know definitively, what is the "A" vs "B" indicate with this KS cylinders on a 288xp.
Mine is a KS 149/2A. (difficult to see in the pic but it's stamped on there). The OPs was a KS 149/2B.

Also, Looks like mine has a boss for a decomp on the flywheel side.
Why would Husky order the cylinders with the boss and then not put the decomp valve in ?
Anyone know these things?
28396026097_06889ee018_c.jpg

I have one like that and it is a 281 cylinder
I have the b version as well. It’s on a 300th anniversary edition. I believe very much so it’s that way from the factory. Would this be possible? It’s a 288 I’ve been wanting more info on this but no one had much input.

I meant the a version. Photo below.

I have the b version as well. It’s on a 300th anniversary edition. I believe very much so it’s that way from the factory. Would this be possible? It’s a 288 I’ve been wanting more info on this but no one had much input.

I meant the a version. Photo below.
I measured the bore on mine 52mm 1

Bringing back an old thread rather than starting a new one.

Maybe you all know definitively, what is the "A" vs "B" indicate with this KS cylinders on a 288xp.
Mine is a KS 149/2A. (difficult to see in the pic but it's stamped on there). The OPs was a KS 149/2B.

Also, Looks like mine has a boss for a decomp on the flywheel side.
Why would Husky order the cylinders with the boss and then not put the decomp valve in ?
Anyone know these things?
28396026097_06889ee018_c.jpg
What year is this saw man

Back