288XP Lite

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

little possum

Crash and Burn
Reaction score
Finally found me a 288, and it happens to be a Lite and the plastic and clutch cover isnt all busted up. :clap:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Threw the massive 20" bar :cry: into the test log. Very happy with the way it runs, needs fuel line, and a muffler mod
There is a 288 here right now with a 36" on it, and I really would like to make it dissapear.

Congrats, that was the last of the 288's before they were discontinued, and hence the best. Should be a few ounces lighter than the old model you can see the decompression valve, good chain break, best antivib, etc. Does it have an adjustable oiler too?

Looks great

Not sure on the oiler, I do like the decompression valve. It starts good, and pulls strong.
Thanks Huskyman, Glad I got a good one.

Mitchell, you can have enough saws? Thats a new one on me, I have never heard that before

Does anybody know why the clutch covers are always busted?

And who says PAWN SHOP finds are impossible? :givebeer:

Last edited:
Nice score. Wish mine had plastic that nice. I doubt it'll buff out, but that project will have to wait.

CLutch covers get busted from riding in logging trucks, thats why most 288's look like they have been run over by one

Good find...now all you need is a huge box of 288 parts and you will be good to go for a LONG TIME!!...now if I can just remember where I put it????

There is a 288 out there for me somewhere. Probably end up making one out of transplanted organs, but who cares?

All right now LP I have been wanting one of those for quite a while and havent found one yet dont make me have to beat you up ha ha (yeah right). Looks like a good saw now I just need you to find me one.

There is a 288 out there for me somewhere. Probably end up making one out of transplanted organs, but who cares?

Yep, I feel the same way about it. Eventually a 288 will end up in my collection and my 3 saw plan will be complete. The doctor says that will cure my CAD, what do you think?
:greenchainsaw:

Yep, I feel the same way about it. Eventually a 288 will end up in my collection and my 3 saw plan will be complete. The doctor says that will cure my CAD, what do you think?
:greenchainsaw:

BD,

Excuse me, but I think what we have here is a failure to communicate. The cure for CAD is DAC. Yep, Deceased and cremated.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Please pay the pretty nurse as you leave,

dr. joat

PS: Good score Zach. Somebody wants to kick it in the creek! Be careful.

I have been lookin for one of these for quite a while. All the ones on Craigslist are $$$ and look rough. So imagine what I felt like when I walked in the Pawn Shop and seen her layin there all lonely with the busted up Stihl and smaller Huskys.

JT the 371/372 runs great. Very suprising too me. I think I may go ahead with a muffler mod, just dont know if my dual port is going to be too much.
A 80 cc Husky may come up to see you for a couple days, if you wouldnt mind.:) Hopefully

B200 and Biker Dude, they are out there, although you may not find one that looks like mine, and for the price I gave for mine:clap:

Thanks Joat

Cant think of a better way to spend my 600th post, than talkin about the 288:cheers: I think I talk to much, and I may also have CAD, figuring we had 3 saws at the beginning of the year

I bought one of these (XP Lite) on the Bay about 2 years ago for $280. It was in great shape (excellent shape actually) but I already had a 395xp that I didn't really need so I sold it after I played with it for a while. I had no idea they were so sought after or I probably would have kept it. Sold it for $300.

Guess all good things have to come to a end?
Pulled the muffler to do some "work" and took a look at the piston.

The top of the piston on the exhaust side looks like its been filed away. The nikasal or chromoly coating is gone.:censored:

Guess all good things have to come to a end?
Pulled the muffler to do some "work" and took a look at the piston.

The top of the piston on the exhaust side looks like its been filed away. The nikasal or chromoly coating is gone.:censored:

Have you pulled the cylinder? What is the compression? Post some pics.

Back