288XP Lite

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
husq2100

husq2100

Addicted to ArboristSite
pistons arent coated with chrome or nikisli.....and if you haven taken the cylinder off you wont be able to see inside much.....

some back yard mods were to drop the top of one side of the piston, but it isnt really a good idea.

if your getting 145, its not too far off, might just need a new set of rings or a piston...plenty of aftermarket stuff and oem (bailey's) stuff around....

they are a great saw....

dont loose hope yet

Serg

wigglesworth

wigglesworth

Booned
pistons arent coated with chrome or nikisli.....and if you haven taken the cylinder off you wont be able to see inside much.....

some back yard mods were to drop the top of one side of the piston, but it isnt really a good idea.

if your getting 145, its not too far off, might just need a new set of rings or a piston...plenty of aftermarket stuff and oem (bailey's) stuff around....

they are a great saw....

dont loose hope yet

Serg

:agree2: Dont throw in the towel yet. The piston isnt coated, just the cylinder. I bet a new meteor piston, and you will be pluggin away.

little possum

little possum

Crash and Burn
Doh, my bad, meant to say the coating is chipped a little above the exhaust port. But thanks for clearing that up for me fellas, its been a couple days.
Snapped a few pics real quick.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Really expected better because of the overall looks of the saw. Oh well I dont guess everybody runs good mix and good gas (93 or AV).

JT78

ArboristSite Guru
Hard to say without pulling the cylinder and looking around a bit. Could have just been a general maintnance issue like a lean carb or dirty filter but that is just a stab in the dark.

little possum

little possum

Crash and Burn
Thanks Justin. Thats kind of what I am hoping for. Guess that is the best of the worse that could happen.
Ill pull the cylinder sometime soon, and take a look.

Had the local Tech look at it, and he said something wasnt right. LOL(DUH)
He said to run it till it blew, since it was already messed up

little possum

little possum

Crash and Burn
I understand that Brad. Im hoping that maybe the cylinder isnt too badly messed up. And maybe a meteor piston and some OEM rings, and she would be good to go.
I have spare saws, and dont see the need in killing this one off just because.

Thanks

blsnelling
I understand that Brad. Im hoping that maybe the cylinder isnt too badly messed up. And maybe a meteor piston and some OEM rings, and she would be good to go.
I have spare saws, and dont see the need in killing this one off just because.

Thanks

See, that's the thing right there. You may be able to properly fix the saw with a $40 piston. On the other hand, you may destroy an otherwise good cylinder the next time you used it. IMHO, it never pays to play that game. That's another reason I completely go through most every saw I obtain. You just never know what's in there.

04ultra

04ultra

"Out of Control"
. AS Supporting Member.
Look over all the AV springs .........There small and break easy on them ......Ive replace all AV mounts with rubber mounts on all my 288's .....

Wiring was a problem on them ......Small wires and they break easy ....There are some good prices on aftermarket P/C that seem to hold up really good ....

Last edited:
Banshee

Banshee

Addicted to ArboristSite
That philosophy drives me crazy! Why destroy something? I say tear it down and fix it before you do any more damage. I know it wasn't your idea, just commenting.

That a saw dealers philosoply. Run it until it's destroyed. Why sell a 100 dollar piston, when you could sell a 1000 saw.

little possum

little possum

Crash and Burn
Thanks Ultra, Ill give everything else a look over. Under the cover the saw looked brand new, which I know some compressed air and elbow grease goes a long way.

Banshee, he is quite a goof, didnt help it was about 430 yesterday and he was ready to go home.

Biker Dude

Biker Dude

Addicted to ArboristSite
I finally got myself a 288XP Lite and man am I impressed! :chainsawguy:
Here's a little video of some cookie cutting action for you to enjoy.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3egNBJ_I_UU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3egNBJ_I_UU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
This is the first time I have run a 6 horsepower saw and I can't wait to get it out in the woods and drop some big trees.:biggrinbounce2:

Biker Dude

Biker Dude

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yes possum you really should, they are great fun to run. I'm glad I decided to go after a 288 instead of a 372 and this thread deserves some of the credit. Now I want to find a burnt up one and restore it from the ground up, maybe try the big bore mod spoken of in the 288 mod thread.