288XP - repair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CapitaineHaddoc

European Westcoaster
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

My colleague tried to start the old 288 last week. She had not worked for at least 5 years, but it was in very good condition.

The saw was a funny noise at the beginning, probably an ignition problem. Then after a few tanks, he broke his piston / cylinder.

He does not know if he wants to fix it, and I will eventually buy it.

So I have several questions:

-Do you think that repairing a saw like this one is worth?

-If I bought it, I intend to replace the coil, carburetor, and of course the piston / cylinder / bearings. The problem is that I have not found all the pieces only at Bailey's, and they have a funny way to ship their orders in France (I'm still waiting for my 7900's 3/4 handlebar) For your information, I'll have it for $ 317 not including shipping (and shipping is very expensive I think, they ask $62 for my handlebar). Do you have another provider to advise me?

-Last question, I heard it was possible to mount a 394/395 cylinder/piston on a 288. Is that true?

Thank you in advance.

I have a 288XP. I haven't had to build one so can't help much on parts procurement advice.

But I can tell you most people that have one flat will not part with it.

That's a tough one. It's a great saw, but you're looking at alot of money for all the parts you will need, and quite a bit of labor.

Used running 288's in the US are being sold for $300-400 depending on condition. You're looking at close to that in parts and shipping for your buddies saw, and you'll have to pay for his saw? I'd say if you already had a 181, 281 or 288 and wanted to pay him $50 for a parts saw it would be worth it. But honestly you're likely better off buying a running 288 vs. repairing that one.

In what way was the piston/cyl broken? Did he run it without oil in the gas? If so, the cylinders can usually be cleaned up. I've had pretty good luck with the cheap ebay pistons, but don't use the piston pin clips if they seem cheap (almost always do). The 395 piston/cyl swap is doable, if I remember right. But it's not a straight bolt on and go deal. You'd need lots of 395 parts and I think the cylinder needs machining along with the 288 case. And then when that's done, there's not a big power gain over a healthy 288.

I guess the bottom line is while we'd love to take in every orphaned saw and make it good, there is a point where it isn't cost effective to bring a saw back from the dead. This saw sounds like it's time to become an organ donor for other saws :msp_sad:

Thank you guys!

I'll wait to see what he does, and if possible he give it to me for free. If he does, I will try to clean the cylinder, carburetor, and I will buy a cheap chinese piston to see if it is running.

If I see that it works pretty well, I will buy a coil and a meteor piston. And if it does not work well, she'll rest in peace.

Besides, I did not need this saw, I have comparable power saws, but I'm starting to become saw-dependant :mad:

I've got as much or more into a 288 that I just got going and ported by Randy. Was it worth it? HECK YEAH! I also know that this one is 100% now with all new rubber and bearings etc. Rebuilding is not cheaper...but is better than buying a used one for me as I am that picky. I like knowing my equipment is ready for the abuse I'll put it through.

I've got as much or more into a 288 that I just got going and ported by Randy. Was it worth it? HECK YEAH! I also know that this one is 100% now with all new rubber and bearings etc. Rebuilding is not cheaper...but is better than buying a used one for me as I am that picky. I like knowing my equipment is ready for the abuse I'll put it through.

That's true. And i must also say that I love working on my machines, rebuild a saw is hours of fun for me!

Latest posts

Back