288xp worth saving or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobobrando

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A wile back I picked up a 288xp from an old co-worker. I paid $225 in running condition but needing a clutch cover and chain brake assembly. After replacing those parts I put it to work but the saw has kind of been nickel and diming me, seems every time I work it something breaks and I'm once again hunting for parts. Today I was playing around with my compression tester and for giggles decided to check the 288 out, much to my surprise the spark plug had been put in with rtv and as it turns out the threads in the cylinder head are shot. So now I'm stuck with a hard decision, do I replace the p&c with an aftermarket unit or do I cut my losses and part this saw out. I love these old saws but sometimes the idea of grabbing something new and being able to just go to work with it are appealing too.

That being said, if I decide to rebuild it can anyone recommend a reliable replacement p&c?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

A wile back I picked up a 288xp from an old co-worker. I paid $225 in running condition but needing a clutch cover and chain brake assembly. After replacing those parts I put it to work but the saw has kind of been nickel and diming me, seems every time I work it something breaks and I'm once again hunting for parts. Today I was playing around with my compression tester and for giggles decided to check the 288 out, much to my surprise the spark plug had been put in with rtv and as it turns out the threads in the cylinder head are shot. So now I'm stuck with a hard decision, do I replace the p&c with an aftermarket unit or do I cut my losses and part this saw out. I love these old saws but sometimes the idea of grabbing something new and being able to just go to work with it are appealing too.

That being said, if I decide to rebuild it can anyone recommend a reliable replacement p&c?

You can repair it with a timesert or helicoil. Just pick up a kit at local auto parts store.

Okay, this is just me and my opinion.
But, if it were mine and I decided to keep it, I would be pulling the cylinder and make my call on the interior condition of that there chunk of casting and the coating inside of it.
If that passes muster, then thread repair insert as suggested above is the fix of choice.
But then you get to thinking, okay, I have the cylinder off- might replace the piston, or might replace at the very least the ring and small end needle bearing.
By this stage the saw is half disassembled, why not oil seals and bearings while I am in there? New gasket set as well.
If I was going to do it, why do it half arsed- why not refresh the whole powerhead and have a strong trouble free saw for the next 10 years.

Now, if the original cylinder does not pass inspection- Meteor P&C kit is the direction I would be headed in if a good OEM could not be found easily.

Okay, this is just me and my opinion.
But, if it were mine and I decided to keep it, I would be pulling the cylinder and make my call on the interior condition of that there chunk of casting and the coating inside of it.
If that passes muster, then thread repair insert as suggested above is the fix of choice.
But then you get to thinking, okay, I have the cylinder off- might replace the piston, or might replace at the very least the ring and small end needle bearing.
By this stage the saw is half disassembled, why not oil seals and bearings while I am in there? New gasket set as well.
If I was going to do it, why do it half arsed- why not refresh the whole powerhead and have a strong trouble free saw for the next 10 years.

Now, if the original cylinder does not pass inspection- Meteor P&C kit is the direction I would be headed in if a good OEM could not be found easily.
I'm liking this idea, I've always maintained my own equipment but never really rebuilt a saw from the ground up. Could be a fun project, and I guess at this point I dont have much to lose.

Found a NOS p&c for $220 shipped, does that seem like a fair price?

Is it worth it? That is for you to decide- but it might not last long. Plenty of other folk are in the market for 288XP parts!
As long as it is genuine NOS.

You really need to decide if you are going to rebuild it, tear it down, make a shopping list and price it all out.
So far the saw cost you $225, NOS P&C another $220, plus all the other parts you might need. Total that up and ask yourself is that price plus the hassle of the rebuild economic versus a new 390XP?
If you are still well on the winning side- then it was worth it........ but then is your current cylinder savable?

Definitely worth saving IMO. I love 288's.. I might have a cylinder I can hook you up with.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Definitely worth saving IMO. I love 288's.. I might have a cylinder I can hook you up with.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk
That would be great, if you dig one up let me know and we can work out a deal.

Thank you, I will go this route. I've always wanted to do a conplete build on a saw but have always hesitated to dive into one of my own. But I got nothing to lose but a little time and money now so wish me luck haha.

Cake saws to work on
If you get stuck just ask
Many of us have been into many of them.
Myself
I'd go ahead and buy a meteor piston kit
And a gasket and seal set
To get ready for the rebuild.

Latest posts

Back