Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overkill338

M-Tronicly Obsessed
Reaction score
I got every part I need to build the 390 engine. Then I can just swap it on to the 290 chassis. This is one way to completely test Hyways products.

Would you guys put a little Motoseal around the oil seals?

Attachments

• 20181031_162636-1209x1612.jpg
    20181031_162636-1209x1612.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 46
Same here. Last 310 I did I sealed the clamshell only. No problems at all! My Dad bought an 029 many years ago from his cousin who has a Stihl dealership. It was used and had been "repaired". That thing absolutely screams! I feel quite certain it has a 390 engine in it! Some day I'm gonna convince Dad to let me pull the spark plug and muffler so I can measure the bore and stroke!

I picked up a 290 from a dealer the other day for a song. The tag says "bogs in cut" and "needs dirko seal". The muffler and studs were missing so I have them coming. I'm skeptical of the assessment. The piston and cylinder look pristine and the H screw was four full turns from seated. Once I have everything to complete it I'll test for leaks and make it run. I've never been a fan but the "farm boss" is an easy sale.

I picked up a 290 from a dealer the other day for a song. The tag says "bogs in cut" and "needs dirko seal". The muffler and studs were missing so I have them coming. I'm skeptical of the assessment. The piston and cylinder look pristine and the H screw was four full turns from seated. Once I have everything to complete it I'll test for leaks and make it run. I've never been a fan but the "farm boss" is an easy sale.
I’ve done the upgrade, they’re a brick, but homeowners love em. The one I did for a friend went well, he’s still using it. :cool:

Doesn’t the manual call for Dirko around the seals?

I did it on every 1127 I’ve rebuilt. I’m sure there’s enough squeeze out to keep ya safe, but if the manual calls for it, I usually do it.

There are two different style seals as well. You probably have the style designed to be installed when the pan is split... which, again, I would use light sealer on.

Doesn’t the manual call for Dirko around the seals?

I did it on every 1127 I’ve rebuilt. I’m sure there’s enough squeeze out to keep ya safe, but if the manual calls for it, I usually do it.

There are two different style seals as well. You probably have the style designed to be installed when the pan is split... which, again, I would use light sealer on.

I've already boxed it all up to ship, but I believe you're right. I'll tell him about sealer around them.

That is kindof cool topend. It looks like a hybrid closed openport jug. Ive seen them for the husky 55s but not for the 390s. Curious how it runs. See if you can get any feedback from him.

Latest posts

Back