2nd Saw Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No Tree Rancher

Reaction score
Hello All,
Since following along with you guys for awhile, I've tried to absorb some knowledge here and there. I have a Stihl 028 Super. Runs good. Got my tax refund recently. Trying to actually spend some of it on something of value before it disappears. But, probably limited to $3-$400 bucks. Looking, per some of your guys comments, to get a back up saw, or is it an addition ? to my old Stihl. You know, in case I get mine stuck in a tree or it breaks down...Shades of CAD creeping in perhaps....I thought, or saw, a ms 260 in the price range, maybe wait for a used 261 to pop up. Then I wondered on having two somewhat similar saws? Then, I figured a bigger saw might be a better companion, alot of you like a 70cc saw. Happened to find both a 038 mag II, and an 044, decent shape, both in my price range. Should probably throw in a Husqy 372 XP, as I'm not adverse to either brand.Haven't found any decent 372's yet. Not to offend any loyalists, or start some egg throwing. Any thoughts appreciated. I know they are all highly thought of. Haven't ever run any of them. Don't make a living off them either. Just cut 4-6 cords for the woodstove a year, at most. Thanks guys.

044/440, or 372xp. Cannot go wrong with either.

if you are getting by with a smaller saw already, and that is working for you I would suggest getting a 346 from nmurph. Your budget would get you a nice one.

Can't go wrong with adding the 044 or 372, nice 2 saw plan. BUT, be sure to check it out good, preferably cut with it, before you buy. Don't need to shell out your extra cash, just to find out it needs rebuilt.

The 038 mag ll and 044 will have the Stihl torque your used to and the bars will inter change with the 028. The 372 will have a different feel to it, More rpm horsepower and less torque than the Stihls. If your heavy handed get the Stihl. The 372 requires a bit different technique meaning using a lighter hand to make it do it's magic.

Latest posts

Back