2nd splitter mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken05

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Last fall I picked up an 1980 JD logsplitter in very rough shape for $200.
The first mod was the production table covered in a previous thread. Today I added a little height to the old girl as the I-beam was only twelve inches off the ground. :cry:
I scavanged a couple old shipping braces from work to make the riser. Now the I-beam is a much more comfortable 28 inches up.
So far both mods have cost zero dollars.
Next up will be the log lift.

Last fall I picked up an 1980 JD logsplitter in very rough shape for $200.
The first mod was the production table covered in a previous thread. Today I added a little height to the old girl as the I-beam was only twelve inches off the ground. :cry:
I scavanged a couple old shipping braces from work to make the riser. Now the I-beam is a much more comfortable 28 inches up.
So far both mods have cost zero dollars.
Next up will be the log lift.

Way too go Ken! That's more like it. I don't know what they were thinking when I see them so low. Post pix when you get the L-Lift done. Like too see how it comes out.:cheers: :greenchainsaw:

You'll actually enjoy running it now! the original design was crap (that means a lot coming from a guy who only stands 5'1". Here is what mine now looks like, it too started out life as a "lowrider".

Crikey Boostnut! Nice work. Thats a little too ambitious for me. I'm just looking for functional with out getting too involved.
Maybe after retirement.

That old motor came apart today. It was only a matter of time as it was using about 10 oz of oil for every tank of gas. It starting tickin, then knockin. and then the black smoke was blowin out. My son started runnin away and then it just quit.
Went up to the shop and picked up a 6.5 Briggs for $239 plus the gov fees. Bolted right on and we were back splitting in 1/2 an hour.
It runs a whole lot better now, 12 sec full cycle time and no hesitation.
I would like to try a slip on 4-way wedge. Don't know where to get one.

You'll actually enjoy running it now! the original design was crap (that means a lot coming from a guy who only stands 5'1". Here is what mine now looks like, it too started out life as a "lowrider".

so.....how much longer before you make the tilt hydraulic? :)

I actually thought about that during the rebuild process. Instead of adding another cylinder, valve, and more hoses I decided to try to balance the beam on the pivot point to make it user friendly. Its trickier than I thought since its all related to height, axle position...... Turns out its not as balanced as I'd like it but very manageable for 1 person. Log lift is next (if I decide to take it back to the shop). :greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back