• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell 3/8" chain, 0.058 guage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChoppyChoppy

Tree Freak
Reaction score
Not so common, 0.058 gauge. We have a Jonsered that runs it, but have enough chain to last 3 lifetimes.

The chain is Windor and Oregon. 25R and 77LP.

New 3/8" 0.050 runs us about $3.00/ft, we sell it for around $4/ft. Not sure on the price for the 0.058, but I'd guess it's about the same.

How about $3.00/ft and I'll make any size loop for free? I can ship on my dime if you are buying several or some long loops.

You'll have to keep shipping costs down to make them attractive. If you sell them several at a time you can pack a bunch into small flat-rate Priority boxes, which would make the total cost more attractive than it will be if you try to sell one at a time. Probably easier for you, too.

Well figure a 24" loop would be a bit over 4ft of chain, so ~$15. That's pretty darn cheap for chain! We would normally sell that loop for about $35 in the 0.050"

84dl =5 1/4 feet. $18.38. If you keep the shipping costs down that's still pretty good, but that might be hard to do shipping one at a time.

Yeah I meant to type a bit over 5ft of chain, I typoed it. $5-6, whatever the little flat rate box is. Still at only $20-25 a loop which is well under retail around here. Maybe the prices are just higher here, I dunno?
An 18"-20 loop we normally sell for about $35, I forget the price for 24"
An 18-20" loop around here is $18-$20. I'm interested if the price is low enough (don't really need any).

An 18"-20 loop we normally sell for about $35, I forget the price for 24"

Yeah, but you're in a remote area and only selling such loops once in a while. You can charge that because you can deliver immediately and probably don't have local competition, and you have to charge that because that's what it takes to justify keeping the rolls in stock. When you sell online you've got lots of competition and the product you're selling takes several days to arrive. Your local business is low volume / high margin. Online, for a common commodity like 3/8" chain, you can do much higher volume but only at much lower margins.

Yah buying several at a time is best for both buyer and seller, kepps shipping cost down, and seller does better with his labor on a quanity sale. Priority small flat rate is 5.95 and medium flat rate is 12.65 including 50.00 insurance.
You could make up some common size like 18 or 20" and see how many fit in a box, so people have an idea what there max purchase could be.

I messed up on the price. We pay about $2.50 a ft for the 0.050 chain. 100ft roll is about $250, works to 300 with shipping. I can do the $3.00 a foot... that will cover the chain, connectors and my time.

Back