3/8 vs .404

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have run 066's for a while now. One of them i rebuilt had a 28" 404 setup on it. I also had anothern with 28" 3/8 setup on her.

Side by side the 404 cut ruffer(word?) and slower. It did stay sharper longer it seamed. 66 didnt have enuf umph to spin the 404 as fast in the cut...

Idon't about performance,but back in the early 80s when i run my 2100 husky i tried 3/8 and it kept breakin it,so switched to 404, no problem,but ole pete in northern calif. liked it cause it give you more tooth to file.

404 vs 3/8

I run a 32 inch bar on a 066 that has been ported and the muffler modified.

I run 46RSF Stihl Rapid Super Full Chisel Full Cut and it is one fast chain.

Used to run 404 Oregon round full cut and it was much slower.

I even run the bar with an 8T sprocket and have no problems.

There was a debate about this on a previous string

No one had times on it as compared 404 to a 3/8 chain.

3/8 is more popular than 404

404 is much heavier and stronger chain

The only valid argument I could make in support of the 404 is it costs more to make so why not get the industry to go to a smaller chain that is cheaper to make and wears out faster?

Also, if you have the power pull the bigger chain.

i ran 3/8 0.50 72 lg on every thing except the 3120's i used a 404 on them i think it was 23A. it was what baileys suggested when i ordered the saws from them (3120) so i just ran it and never questioned it. that chain would blow through nails and still cut like a champ.

Hey JimL

Side by side the 404 cut ruffer(word?) and slower. It did stay sharper longer it seamed. 66 didnt have enuf umph to spin the 404 as fast in the cut...

Are you running an 8T or 7T?

My 066's have no problem pullin a 404. What isthe condition of the clutch?

I was hoping, too, to see some performance opinions regarding the diff. between the two, but I suppose one would have to try to compare the same types of chain, example Oregon super 70, etc.

I have a 20" hardnose bar that fits my Jonsereds saws, and I used .404 chipper (Carlton) once in a great while if I had to cut real dirty wood. My dealer suggested it, and while my puny little Jons 670 didn't set any speed records cutting with it, I could work for a reasonable period of time without stopping to file. Sometimes on muddy wood, you can't even get to the end of a tank of gas with chisel chain.

Im running 404 on my 088KD, it blasts thru the wood real nice, but then on the other hand, my saws are much stronger than anyone elses wood saws, cause mine rocks out at 14,500 and 73.357 hp., so get that inta ya eh!
Gypo

Re: Hey JimL

Originally posted by don
Are you running an 8T or 7T?

My 066's have no problem pullin a 404. What isthe condition of the clutch?

8 teeth.

I still look for more power out of my 066's.... Lotta guys says they are good enough and i say they are wrong...

A Stihl 066 with an 8 tooth sprocket will not run a 404 chain with any efficiency at all ,unless you want to make a career out of watching the chain go round. If you want to run 404 on an 066, why not save yourself the effort and run 3/8 on an 044, it will cut faster. 7 pin is the only way to go unless your cutting softwood or using an 088 or 3120
Gypo

Well Gypo that is what I am running

A Stihl 066 with an 8 tooth sprocket will not run a 404 chain with any efficiency at all ,unless you want to make a career out of watching the chain go round.

Contrary to Gypo's experience with an 066 mine runs the 404 just fine with an 8T. Don't have a problem at all. Could it be the chain, I use or what? 46RSF.

I consider Gypo a much better and proficient logger than myself. Maybe I should be cutting bigger logs. Cut 20 to 40 inch cedar and fir with it the other day and worked pretty good.

I guess I should get it the 066 remodified to put out 55 HP since your 088 has 73HP!

Hey where does the second turbo gauge go?

All 6 of them are stock, one has a couple dents in the muffler from the previous owner. Thats it

Don I think you hit the nail on the head when you said you were cutting firs and cedar.

Gypo is cutting almost all hardwood and you're cutting mostly softwood. Big difference there

JIML you should do some simple MODS

I think a simple modification you can do is open up the muffler a little. So here say it gives up to around 20% increase in power and lowers the temperature of the saw thereby extending its life.

Do you have a single or dual port muffler?

Search past strings using 066 muffler and you get strings like this

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4456&highlight=066+muffler

Two other modifications I made was to go to the 46RSF chain and synthetic mix.

I think they all helped.

Yeh I cut mostly softwood, some hardwood but in this county hardwood is "protected" unless it is deseased or dead. I cut some California Oak with this bar combination and it worked. I keep the chain very sharp. It seems to me the chain 46RSF I use keeps a sharper edge than the Oregon I was using.

Huskyman and Gypo do you think the mods made (muffler, fuel, chain) are the difference I can use a 8T on a 32 inch bar?

sinking a 32" bar with an 8T and .404 in a 28" hardwood stem will bog a 066 down in a very serious way. If this is not the case I am in the market for your 066. Seriously, I think the diameter and the hardness of the wood is the deciding factor here like mentioned before. The mods help out alot but wont make the difference in this scenario.

My 3120 came from the factory with a 7 tooth .404 sprocket. The first time I put it to the wood, the thing just sat there with the chain stopped and the engine reving. I brought it back and they found this out and changed sprockets to a 3/8. I guess with bigger bars maybe the stronger .404 would be better, but as for staying sharp longer, I think I'd rather give 3/8 a 45 second tickle a little more often and cut faster

I think Drugless Grabcock and Tundralux said it perfect. I believe using 404 on an 066 would be much like using 1/2" pitch on an 088, or using 3/8 pitch on an 017.
Gypo

Or, to add to what Glazeboy just said, 1/2" round backwards on a David Bradley or as tire chains on a skidder. I think I'm going to bring some of my 1/2" to Washington when I go there in a week or so and John can bring his 017 with 3/4" harvester chain to Manchester at the same time. My guide bar is bigger than his though, plus I have a roller nose with a trout head mask replica.

Back