3/8 vs .404

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Huskyman and Gypo do you think the mods made (muffler, fuel, chain) are the difference I can use a 8T on a 32 inch bar? [/B][/QUOTE]
Hi Don, although both 7 and 8 tooth sprockets have torque and speed, it is only relative to available hp., raker depth and how sharp your chain is. It has been my finding that the 7 pin is the best in saws below 100cc. (hardwoods) After all we arent in a race when falling, milling, or firewooding. I prefer torque to speed with a woodsaw, because I can lean into the cut more as opposed to slowing the saw down in the cut. Any attempts to slow the saw down with bigger sprocket and larger pitch chain is a false economy and harder on the operator and the saw. The trick here is to get the most out of the saw as you can without hurting it. An 066 with the stock muffler is a complete dog, especially with an 8 pin and 3/8 chain in hardwoods and probably softwoods as well.
Gypo

I've been told by a couple of people that a present day stock 066 will outcut a stock 088 right out of the box in smaller softwood. If this is true, would putting an 8 pin on a stock 088 make it faster than an 066 in this smaller wood?

Back