3 point skidding winch brands

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sqdqo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have been looking at various brands of 3 point skidding winches. Is one brand better than another or are they all pretty equal? Opinions?

Tajfun manufactures logging winches in Slovenia & exports to the U.S. I've been using a PTO winch on an 8N Ford for years, and even with its limited power, it does a fair job out in the Ozark hills. It lets me pull logs out of places that would be inaccessible otherwise. Remote control is a great feature-- wish I had it on my winch. The other tool I can't imagine doing without is a log arch. It makes pulling logs much less stressful, and allows me to move logs I couldn't otherwise budge.

Last edited:
Tajfun manufactures logging winches in Slovania & exports to the U.S. I've been using a PTO winch on an 8N Ford for years, and even with its limited power, it does a fair job out in the Ozark hills. It lets me pull logs out of places that would be inaccessible otherwise. Remote control is a great feature-- wish I had it on my winch. The other tool I can't imagine doing without is a log arch. It makes pulling logs much less stressful, and allows me to move logs I couldn't otherwise budge.

How does the cable hold up?

Tajfun manufactures logging winches in Slovania & exports to the U.S. I've been using a PTO winch on an 8N Ford for years, and even with its limited power, it does a fair job out in the Ozark hills. It lets me pull logs out of places that would be inaccessible otherwise. Remote control is a great feature-- wish I had it on my winch. The other tool I can't imagine doing without is a log arch. It makes pulling logs much less stressful, and allows me to move logs I couldn't otherwise budge.

Thanks for the info- I googled this company and they also make a little tower/yarder thats pto from a tractor. Suppose it could be modded solid to a 1-2 ton truck W pto also.Pretty slick. I pestered the company for the specs on the yarder. We will see.

How does the cable hold up?

Cable holds up well. Has a nasty tendency to get snarled up, though. When I replace it, I'll probably switch to Amsteel blue. That stuff is pretty impressive. By the way, that is not a Tajfun (pronounced Typhoon) winch on my tractor. I bought mine at an auction and have no idea who built it.

Cable holds up well. Has a nasty tendency to get snarled up, though. When I replace it, I'll probably switch to Amsteel blue. That stuff is pretty impressive. By the way, that is not a Tajfun (pronounced Typhoon) winch on my tractor. I bought mine at an auction and have no idea who built it.

The Amsteel Blue is synthetic winch rope isn't it? The rope doesn't have any abrasion resistance. I have it on my atv winch and I have broken it a couple of time due to abrasion.

I could see that yarder being used in a lot of places.. even here on the east coast. That is an interesting machine. The companies US base of operations is in Syracuse NY...hmmm road trip some day.. Its only 6 hrs from here.

I could see that yarder being used in a lot of places.. even here on the east coast. That is an interesting machine. The companies US base of operations is in Syracuse NY...hmmm road trip some day.. Its only 6 hrs from here.

I think that little tower would be real nice for parking out all the new sub-divisions. You can even downhill with it. That would be something.:msp_wink:

I have been looking at various brands of 3 point skidding winches. Is one brand better than another or are they all pretty equal? Opinions?

The only 3 point winch I have ever personally operated was a Fransgard V-4000. And I found it extremely durable and easy to use. There are different sizes, of course ,based on the horsepower of your tractor. Good luck.

Back