3 project stihls in a week 026 028super MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newoldschool

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well I picked up 3 saws this week. A 026 with a scored piston(still need to pull the muffler) 028 super, seems like it has good compression have the usual rubber parts on the way. Last but not least still waiting on the last package a strait gassed MS660. All are eBay saws and should be fun projects. I have never rebuilt a saw before other than tank vents/ carb rebuilds so this should be intresting. CAD is in full force now. I also snagged a new Stihl KM130r as an early birthday present to myself. I am sure I will have lots of questions
ca727f7d675cc2c9c6c52a9e5eb8384e.jpg

Well the ms660 has arrived. I had a little time today to pull the mufflers off all 3 saws. First the ms660 was described as being run on bad fuel. There is streaking on the piston but the cylinder does not seem to be streaked
6587e829b0ac95888968cb55130216d9.jpg

The first photo is of the piston. Photo two is of the cyl wall
94efc9aa3b6590fea6d80f00f5477abc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 026 same story cylinder does not looks too bad but the ad stated it has 85lbs compression and the piston is majorly streaked you almost can't tell the rings from the piston. I did not have a chance to take photos of the 026. I was having big saw envy with the 660. The 028 red light super is promising def has some compression just a lot of carbon around the exhaust port, how can I clean it with out tearing it down? Vac test is next on the list for all three
9926e7460c699381213d3ab8a81d20cf.jpg
76a5c17534560a734dd80232580e1123.jpg
b0b46bb516531c55b99345e742da3692.jpg

My experience with the bigger Stihl saws has always been that if a "pro" grade saw, one usually only used by tree services, is burned up, it is usually completely "shot". Bad bearings, cracked crankshaft, etc.....completely worn out, or crushed. Not a lot of chance of "home owner" types of inexpensive fixes. Those sizes of saws are usually not worth rebuilding, period. I've lost on every one of them I tried to fix when I first started repairing/rebuilding saws. Couldn't even break even on them for the price of parts (OEM/AM) only.

My experience with the bigger Stihl saws has always been that if a "pro" grade saw, one usually only used by tree services, is burned up, it is usually completely "shot". Bad bearings, cracked crankshaft, etc.....completely worn out, or crushed. Not a lot of chance of "home owner" types of inexpensive fixes. Those sizes of saws are usually not worth rebuilding, period. I've lost on every one of them I tried to fix when I first started repairing/rebuilding saws. Couldn't even break even on them for the price of parts (OEM/AM) only.

Thank you for your input motorman1, I am just doing this as a hobby/ learning expierence and do not plan on flipping these saws. I just want to rebuild them and use them for firewood and storm clean up for elderly neighbors in my area. I have an 044 with a 28 inch bar that I use for bigger stuff. When I found the 660 I figured I could rebuild it and have a nice saw to use with a larger bar.

cc2e2de84f12dc6b69d150888228c036.jpg

Here's a pic of said 044, I tore it down and replaced all the rubber/ carb kit. I do the rubber as a preventive measure on new to me saws. The owner got rid of this one cheap because it would not run/ stay running. Turned out it was a bad tank vent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/IMG]

Well yesterday I happened to be at a friends shop helping him with something and I remembered to throw the 028 super in the jeep so I could do a compression test. We used two different gauges. First cheepo gauge read 155 cold but the gauge was not zeroing out. 2nd gauge was a Mac co gauge and was reading 145. I was plesently suprised. Then I got a call from my Stihl dealer that the rest of my parts came in for the 028, picked those up and when I got home UPS had dropped off my NOS Stihl 028 shop manual.

You're off and running. My 028 is almost identical (actually I don't know what having "WOODBOSS" on the badge even means). It has been just a great saw for me. I got it used five years ago, and in terms of maintenance have only ever done a tuning of the carb (screws) and replaced the plug. No rubber, no carb kit. Knock on wood (hah!). I did have a problem with the oil pump recently, and rec'd good help here with the repair.
028-badge-sm.jpg

I am really curious how the MS660 goes, so please keep us posted.

~Allen

Hey Allen I am intrested to see how the 660 turns out as well. I picked up my ms660 shop Manuel from my Stihl dealer today for a whopping $10.99. I also got the rest of my tools for pressure and vac tests. I got the Stihl block off plates for the intake and exhaust for the 026/028. They use the same tools all of this for $15, carb block off was $3.70 and the rubber exhaust block off was $.30 it will be nice having the right tools for the job. The carb plate is on the way for the 660 for $6
328840c099abf4ef35774943d8955a60.jpg
059e1408d788bfbc42a907c4e1115971.jpg

Latest posts

Back