$300 Blown 362

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

furb

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I got this to look into fixing. It’s looking like almost $300 for a top end. Exhaust side is scored and there are marks on the intake side of the cylinder. He said he wants to try to get $300 out of it as is. It’s 2016, almost no wear, bottom of the case looks almost perfect. Could probably get $300 out of it on the bay but what’s a good real world price? I don’t want it. I’ve already had and sold three 362s

CD21EFB1-FB65-4588-9348-32A57E0E5255.jpeg

And at $150 you would still be close to
$500. I know better from getting in too deep on projects and Stihl parts prices are insane. No way of knowing if there is an mtronic issue either on top of it.

$300 is nuts. Buddy called me up the other day and said his jonserud 2172 (372xt) scored the piston and his repair shop said repairs more than the saw is worth.
He offered it to me as a parts saw for free but I ended up giving him $50 because there was an extra used bar and new chain. It was middle of winter & not real busy so I tore into it for grins. A meteor piston, cleaned up cylinder, crankseals, gaskets, new muffler and misc and it's running great again. The shop was right though- at their labor rate it would not have been worth it but it was a fun little project for me.

I wouldn’t even pay $100 for it. OEM Stihl P&C prices are high, and I would only use OEM. The only saws that I would pay $300 for that were burnt up would be an 064, 066, 660, 880. Husqvarna 3120, 395. Even then I would have a hard time and would want to check the bearings and air check the saw before buying. Even after that I would still have a hard time paying that much. I see burnt up saws everyday come through my shop so I’m a little jaded when it comes to the value of them through my eyes. Bottom line is that $300 for a burnt up 362 is way too much in my opinion

$300 is nuts. Buddy called me up the other day and said his jonserud 2172 (372xt) scored the piston and his repair shop said repairs more than the saw is worth.
He offered it to me as a parts saw for free but I ended up giving him $50 because there was an extra used bar and new chain. It was middle of winter & not real busy so I tore into it for grins. A meteor piston, cleaned up cylinder, crankseals, gaskets, new muffler and misc and it's running great again. The shop was right though- at their labor rate it would not have been worth it but it was a fun little project for me.

I think a blown 372 is worth more that the 362 just because you can use off the shelf bearings and top ends are cheaper. I used to be pretty much all Stihl but I’ve been building 365/ 372s now and 346s. My Husqvarna 350 is probably my most used saw

Back when I started flipping saws, $40 was a lot to pay for a saw with a toasted topend. I’ve bought truckloads of 044, 046, 064, 066 from Stihl dealers for $10-$20 each because the aftermarket was still somewhat new and OEM topends made it cost prohibitive to repair them. Since the Chicom market took off, there are plenty of guys willing to throw a $30 Chicom topend on a saw and peddle it on Craigslist, Feepay, FB market place, or wherever. So, when I was paying $20 for a toasted 066 and putting $350 worth of OEM parts in them to make them right, I could make $100-$200 for my labor (all condition dependent of course). Since I refuse to put a Chicom topend on a saw, it’s no longer worth it to me to buy toasted saws and repair them for a profit. I’m not competing with guys that will pay $300 for a toasted 066. I think on feepay, his saw would fetch $250-$300. You asked what a fair price is for it? A fair price is honestly $50-$75 tops to someone that is going to fix it right. Of course he isn’t going to sell it for that, and I don’t blame him in the situation we are in. That’s another “blessing” we have from Chicom junk, flood the market with junk, starting with a saw they over paid for that costs the end user the same amount of money as a saw that was bought at the right price, and repaired correctly with OEM parts.

Back when I started flipping saws, $40 was a lot to pay for a saw with a toasted topend. I’ve bought truckloads of 044, 046, 064, 066 from Stihl dealers for $10-$20 each because the aftermarket was still somewhat new and OEM topends made it cost prohibitive to repair them. Since the Chicom market took off, there are plenty of guys willing to throw a $30 Chicom topend on a saw and peddle it on Craigslist, Feepay, FB market place, or wherever. So, when I was paying $20 for a toasted 066 and putting $350 worth of OEM parts in them to make them right, I could make $100-$200 for my labor (all condition dependent of course). Since I refuse to put a Chicom topend on a saw, it’s no longer worth it to me to buy toasted saws and repair them for a profit. I’m not competing with guys that will pay $300 for a toasted 066. I think on feepay, his saw would fetch $250-$300. You asked what a fair price is for it? A fair price is honestly $50-$75 tops to someone that is going to fix it right. Of course he isn’t going to sell it for that, and I don’t blame him in the situation we are in. That’s another “blessing” we have from Chicom junk, flood the market with junk, starting with a saw they over paid for that costs the end user the same amount of money as a saw that was bought at the right price, and repaired correctly with OEM parts.

Great post, I agree 100%

Most of the saws aren’t worth much if you want to part them out either. Seems like people would rather buy the cheaper China crap. It’s hard to compete when their parts shipped are less than what I can ship a used part for.

Add in the Mtronic factor on a 362. Carbs are easy to fix and easy/cheap to replace. The Mtronic is a nightmare to work on compared to a 036/361

Back