3120 rev limiter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onionman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just picked up my first "new to me" 3120 a 98 model. and it seems that I have a little fixing up to do.
1 seems that the rev limiter is not working. How do I tell if it is missing or broke? I thought the limiter was built into the coil.
2 chain brake handle is showing some melting .is this normal for these saws?
it starts runs and cuts good...
Onionman

I'm not sure if a 98 would have the limiter. My 04 had one but I would have prefered it not to. If you put a tach on your saw you can check the rpm readings to see if they become eratic above 12,000 or so. If they do you have a limiter and it's working. First I would verify that 98 models had limiters.

Dale

Thanks Dale ,
how would I do this? their website does not seem to lisst any manuals for the 3120 prior to 2003

all 3120's I have ever heard of have rev limiters. I am not sure about the fixed high jet on the carb, but all of mine have (i've owned five). A good one to ask would be EHP if he is still hanging around here. If he doesn't respond (he's a very busy man), Check with CCicora, he's got a lot of knowledge on 3120 parts. I have a 97 and a 98 model right now, the 97 tachs at 10,600 and the 98 kicks in at 11,200.

thanks,
I checked out the ilp guess i don't know what I am looking for.....
Onion

Chopwood said:
all 3120's I have ever heard of have rev limiters. I am not sure about the fixed high jet on the carb, but all of mine have (i've owned five). A good one to ask would be EHP if he is still hanging around here. If he doesn't respond (he's a very busy man), Check with CCicora, he's got a lot of knowledge on 3120 parts. I have a 97 and a 98 model right now, the 97 tachs at 10,600 and the 98 kicks in at 11,200.

I had heared the rev limiters started in 00 or 01. I would tend to think that if the saw is running the limiter is ok. My 3120 ran perfect with no sign of a bad ignition. After turning it off one day, I went to start a few minutes later and no spark. Husky replaced the ignition N/C because it was a new saw, the dealer said it's a $80.00 part.
If yours happens to be bad you can replace it yourself as I did (very easy) and it won't hurt the wallet to bad.

Dale

Hi they all have rpm limiter's. the older saws rpm alittle higher than the new saws, the first 3120's had a primer and high speed jets in them but this didnot last very long.
If you cannot hear the rpm limiter coming on with your ear then find someone with a tach and when you hold her wide open your rpm's will go up on the tach until it comes on then the rpm's will start to read lower cause the coil is starting to miss fire so if it does this you are fine cause it is working, but just by chance make sure it is a 3120 coil in your saw not a coil and flywheel from a 394-395

EHP

Could a coil still work and the limiter not? Also if I get another 3120 are the older higher reving coils still available? I miss that saw so I can picture myself getting another.

Dale

Dale I have never had a saw with a rpm limiter in it not work and the saw still run not saying that it is not impossible but I have never seen it myself, I have had coils that the limiter would move the rpm up and down a couple hundred rpm's. the newer 3120's have a different coil and flywheel so becarefull putting the older coils in cause the flywheel key is not in the same place on the newer saws.
Dale when you want a 3120 give me a PM, and I will find you one ok cause you paid to much for the last one

thanks all
still don't here the limiter ( if I have one) but
went by local husky dealer to pick up some parts ,asked if he would check the revs while I was there he said it would be a couple of days ...... before he could get to it
stopped by the Stihl dealer for a filter "he was out " but he checked the revs and said all seemed ok "11,900"
Onion

ehp said:
Dale when you want a 3120 give me a PM, and I will find you one ok cause you paid to much for the last one

Sounds good, I hope mine is seeing good use. I'll contact you this Fall.

Thanks
Dale

Dale yours will be in Bracebridge racing next weekend, Moyal Conrod will be running it,

ehp said:
Dale yours will be in Bracebridge racing next weekend, Moyal Conrod will be running it,

Very Cool! Post some pics if you can of the completed saw alone or in action. I'm glad to hear it's being put to good use.

Take Care
Dale

Dale I will , your saw willnot look very big in Moyal's hands, 6 ft 7 tall and a big boy , he has a 250 that he runs like it is the same weight as a wild thing

Ah, a problem near and dear to my heart. I have a '94 and it used to howl until I had to replace the cdi only to find out that the new ones have limiters. What a bitter blow. It's not the saw it used to be and it cost me NZ $253.00 to find out this bad news. I think I will talk to ehp about what I can do to put the life back in her.

Back