3120XP for christmas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbolze

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Did that CL searcing thing again and found the saw I was looking for, 2006 3120XP for $650. It runs perfect! Drove 353 miles 6 hrs and its home. It has a brand new 32" bar, 3/8 chain and sprocket. The seller took off the chain brake due to the brake band being broke, but saved the parts. I got some questions: should it have a prefilter around the paper air filter? Also should it have bar plates? it has neither. I would like to change it to .404 pitch and a longer bar as I have a 30" on my 051. I remember using a friends 3120 back in 1988 with both a 24" and 60" bars, his did not have a decompression like this one has, it is starter breaking strong w/o pushing it in. I will do cold and hot compression test on it. Will post Pictures here and in recent jobs where I plan to use this beast next.
Merry Christmas to all and be safe out there.

Nice !!! Congrats !!! Need vids. soon !!!
(sorry no help on the tech. end)

Nice find and good deal too! I've got two at the moment and am trying to sale one. Thats funny that you mention the broken brake band, the last one i bought had the same thing. I replaced the band and now it rubs the clutch, i did a little clearanceing and i think its better now. Hope to find out in a few days. Enjoy that powerhouse, and you definitely need a longer bar.

Did that CL searcing thing again and found the saw I was looking for, 2006 3120XP for $650. It runs perfect! Drove 353 miles 6 hrs and its home. It has a brand new 32" bar, 3/8 chain and sprocket. The seller took off the chain brake due to the brake band being broke, but saved the parts. I got some questions: should it have a prefilter around the paper air filter? Also should it have bar plates? it has neither. I would like to change it to .404 pitch and a longer bar as I have a 30" on my 051. I remember using a friends 3120 back in 1988 with both a 24" and 60" bars, his did not have a decompression like this one has, it is starter breaking strong w/o pushing it in. I will do cold and hot compression test on it. Will post Pictures here and in recent jobs where I plan to use this beast next.
Merry Christmas to all and be safe out there.

You married? Got a girlfriend? Ask her for one of her older nylons with a run in them. Use a section of the calf area to stretch around the filter. Works great. I use the oiled foam filter myself.

You think it's a beast now...wait 'till you've had the werx done to the saw: ports, transfers, shaved, popped, adj carb, gas. It'll be scary then.

Good buy.

Last edited:
Good saw, and price. I would have put the time, and miles in too, it will be worth it. If you can put a prefilter on, it couldn't hurt. Adding a bar plate or two will help get some oil on that chain.

There a powerhouse of a saw bro ...Truly one of the all time greatest muscle saws! They deserve/command respect. like nitro says use a stocking as a pre-filter (i use Air filter oil in a spray can, to lightly coat the main filter and a stocking as a dry pre-filter, these saws pull a huge amount of air!!!) and yes there brutal and not for the faint hearted!

Back