.325 vs 3/8 Chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John R

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a MS 260 with a 16 inch bar running a .325 chain, wondering if it would work better with a 16 inch bar with 3/8 chain?
Looking for suggestions on both sides.

What do ya think?

The 026 and 260 are probably happier with the .325 chain. My MMed 026 runs pretty strongly, but I suspect that 3/8 might slow it down. I have a stock 346xp runniing 16" 3/8 .050 and it does well, but might be even faster with .325. Smaller cutters require less power. 60cc+ run 3/8 no doubt. 55cc run either.

"Work better" can have many different meanings. I'll bet there have been at least 10 .325 vs. 3/8 discussions in the past year. My 550XP cuts faster running 3/8. When I had my 026 I ran 3/8 so all my chain needs matched.

"Work better" can have many different meanings. I'll bet there have been at least 10 .325 vs. 3/8 discussions in the past year. My 550XP cuts faster running 3/8. When I had my 026 I ran 3/8 so all my chain needs matched.

The only reason I can think of to switch, would be so the bar/chain would match with your bigger Stihls/interchange......

I run a 16" X 3/8" bar on my 026 and it does just fine.

Any true comparison or timed cuts would not be directly one on one unless you run a 8 pin rim with the .325 and a 7 pin with the 3/8" bercause these two rims are almost the same diameter.

Even though the 3/8" cut so much faster, there was no doubt which one I was going to use.

I always found the 026 to prefer .325/7t. They never felt gutsy enough for .325/8t, so 3/8 7t is probably a bit much, also.

.375 is faster and throws bigger chips,kinda grabby though. .325 is alot smoother especially with smaller limbs. imo

It depends on what you cut for wood

I have two 026 one set up with .375 and one set up with .325

The .375 cuts faster here in PNW for me in the wood I've cut

MS 261 is faster with .375

I've used different types of chains on my saw's from full skip to semi skip and full comp in four different brands

You never know to you try different chains yourself on your saws

My 026 is a woods ported screamer and runs best to let the chain feed itself which works very well.

Don't be pushing on it.

I use the 026 for limbing. If I've got some big bucking to do, I get out a bigger chainsaw.

I have a MS 260 with a 16 inch bar running a .325 chain, wondering if it would work better with a 16 inch bar with 3/8 chain?

What do ya think?
I would never put 3/8 chain on a stock MS260,they are dogs stock.Maybe if you opened up the muffler and got some more compression.In 6" wood my little Husky 44 running .325 chain can beat a stock MS260 with .325 chain.On my ported NE346xp 3/8 works very good.
[video=youtube;3h3c8ebn6no]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h3c8ebn6no[/video]

Any true comparison or timed cuts would not be directly one on one unless you run a 8 pin rim with the .325 and a 7 pin with the 3/8" bercause these two rims are almost the same diameter.

Exactly. I think some guys forget that and compare pin count against each other, not factoring how much taller a 7 pin 3/8 is against the .325.

In my personal experience, I did not like 3/8 on my 260. Seemed much happier with .325, and is quite a bit smoother in the smaller stuff.
The last 260 I had, had a little work done to the muffler and 16" .325 setup. If I could have ran a shorter bar, I would have. Fantastic saw, just not a hot rod by any means.
I keep 3/8 on most of my saws, and would have liked the interchangeablity, but just didnt have the arse to pull it like I thought it should have.

The only reason I can think of to put 3/8 on a 260 is for chain commonality with larger saws. Other than that, the .325 will be smoother and faster. There are several good .325 chains to use. Just because a saw can pull 3/8, doesn't mean that it's a better choice. I run .325 on all 50cc saws, including those that are built.

Here's Stihl RSC .325.
[video=youtube_share;p1OeCYOGElQ]http://youtu.be/p1OeCYOGElQ[/video]

I think the saw will suffer with a 3/8th setup, it does not have the power to justify it. I would only run 3/8 on a larger 4+ horsepower saws.

The only reason I can think of to put 3/8 on a 260 is for chain commonality with larger saws. Other than that, the .325 will be smoother and faster. There are several good .325 chains to use. Just because a saw can pull 3/8, doesn't mean that it's a better choice. I run .325 on all 50cc saws, including those that are built.

Most real world users don't care if they get thru a cut a second or two faster. They do care about how long they can go before they have to sharpen, having one pitch and gauge to deal with, life of chain ect.

Most real world users don't care if they get thru a cut a second or two faster. They do care about how long they can go before they have to sharpen, having one pitch and gauge to deal with, life of chain ect.

Most of us here aren't your typical real world user, lol. IMHO, durability is not an issue with Stihl .325 RSC.

To quote, or more correctly paraphrase, Dr. Troll, "The stihl engineers think 0.325 is the right chain for the saw, do you know better?". But I have heard norwegian men sit to pee!

I'm not sure if this question belongs here, but I will try.

I have three main saws, all stihl - 012, 032, and 440. Big work I take the 440 and the 032 for back-up. The 440 has 3/8-pitch 20-inch or 24-inch bars. The 032 has 3/8-pitch 16-inch bars. All chisel chain w/o the safety raker. I picked up a box of chain at a tag sale a few years ago, borrowed chain making tools, and have plenty more chain to keep my house nice and warm. I used to have an 031 for my backup saw - matter of fact I have four 031 part saws. A friend gave me the 032 because the safety brake didnot work. Long story short I have plenty of 3/8-pitch clutches and chain.

The question is about the 012. It has the stihl .325-pitch, .063 guage, picco chain. It is worn out and needs to be replaced. I was thinking of going to a 14-inch bar, use one of the 3/8-pitch clutches and switch to 3/8 chisel chain. Does stihl make that bar? Is this a bad idea? Any suggestions? I might have a piece of 3/8-pitch low profile would that be better?

What do ya think?

To quote, or more correctly paraphrase, Dr. Troll, "The stihl engineers think 0.325 is the right chain for the saw, do you know better?".QUOTE]

Well heck why stop at 3/8? Why not run .404 or 1/2" Wait I have some 9/16 full chisel in the shed, want to try it on your 260? Sheeze!

Back