325 vs 3/8 LP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Reaction score
Did a search but didn't find anyone directly comparing the two for rip speed and smoothness of cut. Anyone run both on similar setups and have an opinion? I got one loop of the LP to try and now I need to decide whether to stick with LP or convert to 325 and give that a go on the 041.

Ian

I did a little chain measuring with my calipers and came to the conclusion that the LP has a narrower kerf than the 325 and should be faster. Looks like I'll be ordering a couple more loops of the LP.

Ian

I've never tired the two side by side nor have I much experience a CSM smaller than 42" (godda love bandsaws:)). Sorry, but your specific questions are way out of my league.:D

I'll speculate though... the LP chain I've looked at gave me the impression it would produce a smaller. If it holds up for you, go for it.

Let us know how it turns out.

:cheers:

Last edited:
I've run a few different 3/8 chains on my small (20" bar) mill. I don't have any specific numbers and it depends on how sharp the chains are are and how long they stay sharp but assuming the are all freshly sharpened, LP is definitely faster that regular chisel which is a touch faster than standard cutters. The LP also leaves a cleaner cut than the other too. Haven't tried any .325.

Back