338 oiler problems!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenstar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is it easy to pull the clutch off of one of these?
I have been told I have to pull the clutch and then engine out in order to pull the oiler off in order to clean it out!!
I've owned these saws for over 10 years and never had an oiler problem. I have four of them. I've repaired everything else almost except never had to pull a clutch or flywheel. I took a picture of the clutch puller my local Husqvarna dealer has and it looks very similar to almost any small puller I can find from an Autozone, so I am hoping this will cut it. Also, do I need air tools to get the bolt off, because I do not have set up at the moment.

I made the mistake of using the wrong type vegetable oil for bar&chain lube in them. For six months it was great, until it got cold. Now my oilers are clogged, so I have been told I have to pull the oilers and clean out.

Thanks for any advice!!

Is it easy to pull the clutch off of one of these?
I have been told I have to pull the clutch and then engine out in order to pull the oiler off in order to clean it out!!
I've owned these saws for over 10 years and never had an oiler problem. I have four of them. I've repaired everything else almost except never had to pull a clutch or flywheel. I took a picture of the clutch puller my local Husqvarna dealer has and it looks very similar to almost any small puller I can find from an Autozone, so I am hoping this will cut it. Also, do I need air tools to get the bolt off, because I do not have set up at the moment.

I made the mistake of using the wrong type vegetable oil for bar&chain lube in them. For six months it was great, until it got cold. Now my oilers are clogged, so I have been told I have to pull the oilers and clean out.

Thanks for any advice!!

I don't know what kinda clutch puller you took a picture of at your dealer. Husqvarna has a few different ones, but one is not needed here. It's just a 19mm nut built into the clutch hub. Turn it to the right with the piston stopped and it will screw off.

In that saw the oil pump housing is built into the crankcase. There is no oil pump to remove. Once you remove the engine from the housing you can get to the oiler.

To get the engine out of the case remove the starter, flywheel, ignition, sparkplug, carb, fuel lines and controls, remove impulse hose from crankcase, remove screws from all mounts, remove screw from back mount bracket above sparkplug, remove muffler deflector and sheild, remove spark plug cover, remove oil pick up line from crankcase. When pulling engine out be careful of intake boot, press it through housing at same time as pulling the engine out of case.

You can either remove the clutch before or after you pull the engine out. Once out you can clean the oil pump parts and housing. Dump out the oil in the tank and check and clean the oil line and pick-up. Don't forget to check the oiler gear and make sure oil pump is pumping properly.

That should get you pointed in the right direction.

Howdy,
If you didn't have an issue till cold weather, check the oil pump drive gear before you tear into the saw.
Regards
Gregg

Latest posts

Back