338xp oiler problems. I have to remove the oiler!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenstar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is it easy to pull the clutch off of one of these?
I have been told I have to pull the clutch, then engine out, to pull the oiler off in order to clean it out!!
I've owned these saws for over 10 years and never had an oiler problem. I have four of em. I've repaired almost everything else before but never had to pull a clutch or flywheel. I took a picture of the clutch puller my local Husqvarna dealer has and it looks very similar to almost any small puller of the same size I can find from an Autozone, so I am hoping this will cut it. Also, do I need air tools to get the bolt off, because I do not have at the moment.

Any advice would be appreciated. I am a pretty competent mechanic and have swapped engines in vehicles and my chipper before. I just want some advice as to how easy and how long this should take.
I made the mistake of using the wrong type vegetable oil for bar&chain lube in them. For six months it was great, until it got cold. Now my oilers are clogged, so I have been told I have to pull the oilers and clean out.

Thanks for advice guys!

Sure it's the oiler?

Next to the oil fill cap, there is a small round porous disc that air has to flow through to get into the oil tank as oil gets used so as not to create a vacum. Using the tip of pocket knife, carefully pry out (looks like the end of a cigarette filter) and clean with starting fluid or reg gas or paint thinner or the like as they get plugged up. Scrub with an old tooth brush, blow with compressed air, and replace.

Try something else first?

Maybe taking them inside and warming up and then running a little gas through them might clean them out?

Don't need air wrench. Left hand thread though. Pull spark plug and use piston stop. After removing clutch and sprocket/drum and needle bearing, pop out the nylon drive gear (inch and half diameter?) (black or maybe gray?) and check to see if worm gear on back side is stripped.

Just a couple things to check before going for oiler.

Did all four quit at once?

If oiler works just a little after filling and then quits, vent is plugged.

GOOD LUCK

randy

Back