338xpt vs ms 200t

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skralle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
im using the sthil at the moment but in need of a new, and husky looks interesting, has any one any thing to say abaut it or maybe the xpc

dont forget to look at the dolmar...awsome unit and very very light...
Dolmar 3410 1.9 hp 7.1lbs around 300 dollars 34cc
stihl 200t 2.1hp 7.7lbs around 500 dollars
husky 338xpt 2.3hp 7.7lbs around 400 dollars

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to responses on this. I would think that the 338 has a good grunt as it has @ 10 more cc of displacment than the 200.

A friend wants to update his climbing saw. He is presently using a couple of 191T. That has to have been one of the highest diplacement saws in a top handle, but discontinued. I suggested he try a 338

My shihl 009L was getting dated and went for a new Echo CS330T nice light saw but lacks the torque of the 009L and these have a @ 10 cc difference.

Tough to get a Dolmar in these parts.

I have had good luck with the 338, it actually feels better in my hand than the MS200.

When you are using a one handed saw you better get something that is comfortable.

The 191T was replaced a while ago with the 192T - a better saw... personally, I love the MS200 and MS200T... Do an AS search on your question. There are many responses on the saws you're thinking about.

I've used a 338 over the past year with zero problems. Dropped it 40 ft. out of a tree and nothing broke. Can't give you a comparison, just an opinion. No complaints.
Phil

Lake there is no comparison betweeen the 191 and 192 from a power stand point. I looked at the 192 and for alot less money I chose the 330 and maybe should have went with 360.
Yes I was referring to the Cali 338

The biggest problem with the 191 is that it's pretty much unserviceable... a real PITA to work on... I'm not a big fan of the 191/192 saws, but others think they are just fine.

And look at the Jonsered 2135T, it's in basic the same as Husqvarna 334T but they are not exactly the same. Some say that the Jred 2135T is the best Top Handle saw from Husqvarna Group, but I don't know. I have one and I like it, seems to be a great powerful runner, but that's me :D
attachment.php

attachment.php

I've lost count of how many 200T's I have had...But it seems like they nickel and dime me to death...I've been tempted to try a husky,but have never brought myself to buy one just because I have so many 020's and 200t's laying around for parts.....This is one of the few comparisons I can't speak for.

I have been running my 338XPT for 3 years, cutting dirty gambel oak and some pine. It hasn't been abused but it certainly has been used. Great power and light enough for easy use all day. The only complaint is the air filter cover doesn't seal very well and the filter gets dirty pretty quick. The saw has air injection but the system doesn't work nearly as well as on my other saws. Other than that I like it very much.

It proved itself a few weeks ago. I was in a hurry to leave to go cutting, but I decided that I had better clean the filter in the saw before leaving. I cleaned it and set it down for a minute, when I put the cover back on I inadvertently LEFT THE FILTER OUT!!. :dizzy: Went cutting all day in the mountains. Came home and saw the filter where I had left it after cleaning. Set the choke, blew it out, put the filter in then used it for a few hours last weekend with no problems. Hopefully will have no long term issues.:chainsaw:

More like 4cc, unless the 338xpt is the Cali version...

hey troll....after several phone conversations with husky usa (which won't mean anything to you norwegians) I've been told it's not legal to sell a cali 338xpc to anyone residing outside of California. The reasoning they gave me was that model was California certified but not EPA certified. According to them 50 state legal modesl are certified by both cali and the epa. Husky USA told me that when a model is made special for California, they have to have a waiver in effect to allow them not to abide by us epa regulations, and unless the saw(or whatever piece of equipeent it is) is tested by and passed by the US EPA it is ILLEGAL to sell a California model to a resident of any other state. Currently there is no reciprocity between CARB and the EPA for special Cali models.

but anyways, the MS192T is lighter than a 334T but has less power and if i remember correctly the 200T has a bit less power than a 338XPT (non cali ) but weighs less. So there is a tradeoff betwen power and weight as expected(not sayin one is better than the other).....but on one last side note, wth were we thinking when we used to order 192's with a 16" bar (14" these days)

I have an older 335 XPT - I love the saw. I have run it for several years, and had zero problems. A minor muffler mod really woke it up...

This tread has developed a bit surpricingly - usually the Husky top-handles are bashed here at AS, and the MS200T held in high regards......;) :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I would love a 339xp (rear handle version of the 338 xpt), but I cant find an excuse to buy one........

Back