339xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natty Bumppo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Been lurking here a few months. This is my first post. See a lot of posts on several Husky saws and a lot of love for the 346XP. Haven't seen anything about the 339XP. Used one for several years. Loved it. Very light weight. Cut mostly cedar and soft hardwoods up to 12" or so; but, when put to the task, it went through similarly sized oaks and locusts just fine as long as chain was sharp. My only complaint was lack of felling dogs since it was an arborist saw.

Shop was broken into, saws stolen. Went to replace 339XP with another. No longer available. Have heard a little bit about the 543XP, but it's not available in U.S. yet. Our workhorse saws are 50cc models (yes, we've had a couple 346XP's). Being the oldest on the work team, I claim seniority and usually take the lightest saw. I'm now using a Jonsered 2240. Not an XP, but we just run saws once or twice a week for about 6 hours a day. Had to replace the carb on the 2240, but otherwise it's run fine.

Have used Stihl's, Huskys and Jonsereds. They're all good. Partial to Husky's since they seem to be a bit lighter than similarly powered Stihls. I'm rambling a bit. Mostly wanted to say "Where's the love for the 339XP, especially since this is an arborist forum".

The Saw Troll has one, but I don't recall anyone else mentioning it.

While I'm an advocate of lightweight saws, the 339XP was more $ than I cared to spend for a flyweight. I probably would have bought the Stihl MS200 instead, had I been so inclined. My current favorite flyweight is the Makita (Dolmar) DSC401 with a muffler mod and retune.

I have a couple of 339's. They are great walking-around saws when I'm at the farm. They are also great for limbing small firewood. 9lbs PHO, and stronger than a 200. I might have a spare if you are serious.

nmurph:
Thanks for the offer, but I can't just go out and buy a saw if I want to. There are budget and equipment inventory issues. We've been lucky to be able to replace 3 of our 4 stolen saws. We're hankering to pick up another 50cc saw this winter if the stars align. Leaning towards another 346XP or its 550XP replacement, or a Jonsered 2153. Husky sure is proud of those XPs. Never used a Dolmar, and am intrigued by the 5105, but my team prefers Husky, and I doubt it'll match the 346XP.

I have a couple of 339's. They are great walking-around saws when I'm at the farm. They are also great for limbing small firewood. 9lbs PHO, and stronger than a 200. I might have a spare if you are serious.

Exactly, very nice for such work - but they have had a history of failing carbs, just like the MS200 and other saws that size. That mostly was about the older version that never was sold in the US - the NE version that came out late 2006 was an improvement, but still not perfect.

I know that J.Walker has had good "luck" with those saws, and have used his much more than I have used mine.

The 543xp definately isn't a replacement for the 339xp - it is a much stronger and heavier saw, hopefully built like a true pro saw, and reminds more of a replacement for the 242xp (but of course it isn't really, as that was the 346xp).

Last edited:
Btw, I visited several Husky web-sites today (at least Norway, UK, USA and Canada), looking for something else - and the 339xp still was listed on all of them.

Btw, I visited several Husky web-sites today (at least Norway, UK, USA and Canada), looking for something else - and the 339xp still was listed on all of them.

I'm aware it's still on the USA website. However when we went to get a replacement in March, our dealer told us it had been discontinued. He checked with multiple distributors to see if anyone still had one in stock and was unable to locate one for us. I've been puzzled by its persistance on the website. Maybe our dealer was mistaken?

The 2012 catalog just shows the 338 xpt and the T435.

I really like my 334T, the 339's lil' brother.

I picked up a T435 at the dealer and it didn't feel right in my hands, but I suppose I'd get used to it after awhile just like I did with the 334.

The 200T is a fine saw saw from what I hear. At the time for what I need it for, and for how much one cost, I really could not justify it. Besides it is quite bigger than my 334 and from what I understand they can be a bear to work on.

Latest posts

Back