346 suddenly running rich

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I went out to cut some firewood yesterday. 346 was running way to rich. It was a bit warmer out than it has been. I made a few cuts to see if it would warm up and straighten out. No. Ran back to shop and got a small screwdriver and turned H as far as I could with the limiter on. Still rich. I noticed the primer bulb had a vortex of bubbly gas swirling around. Is that normal? Any thoughts on why it would suddenly be rich? 3 month old saw. I have run about 4 gallons through it. Air cleaner is fine. Non-cat.

Warmer weather will richen it a bit.
You turned the HS in (clockwise) to the limit and it's still rich ? That is surprising. It's more common that the limiters won't let you richen it enough.

Dealer kinda sucks. Last resort. Think the spark plug could be partially fouled? It was running a tad rich. Gotta get a tach. The new saws are a bit trickier to dial in the sweet spot.

Dealer kinda sucks. Last resort. Think the spark plug could be partially fouled? It was running a tad rich. Gotta get a tach. The new saws are a bit trickier to dial in the sweet spot.

A tach is a very good idea, specially with rev limited saws!

A (too) lean setting, running at the limiter, can easily be mistaken as a rich setting, based on the ear.

It's smoking, so I am pretty sure it's rich. How about the bubble vortex in the primer bulb? Is that normal? I never noticed it before, but I might not have been looking.

1:45 may have something to do with the smoking and plug fauling, but I don't really believe so.

Anyway, I wouldn't run that saw until finding out what the culprit is.....

It's smoking, so I am pretty sure it's rich. How about the bubble vortex in the primer bulb? Is that normal? I never noticed it before, but I might not have been looking.

Mine has a vortex in the bulb and smokes a little bit. But it runs great
and the plug is brown.

I'd get a tach and or have the dealer take a look.

45:1 wouldn't be your problem. I run 32:1 synthetic mix through mine with out a problem. I haven't used mine allot, but I think it does have some vortex/swirl in the primer bulb, maybe from vibration as that saw don't drink enough gas to see it moving...or I wouldn't think so.

Something don't sound right though. Does it idle fine otherwise?

A friend of mine son top'd off his 290 with bar oil, and the bar oil with mix,,, it smoked and run bad. Probably not your case, but might be worth a look maybe.

Checked the muffler - that's OK. Took the needle out and blew the passage out. Looked at Welch plug - long skinny one with rounded ends - didn't appear to be loose.

Put it back together - still rich. Pulled limiter cap and turned it down to 1/2 or 5/8 before it picked up and didn't smoke bad. It must be sucking fuel through a crack or Welch plug is all I can figure. It should be about 1 1/4, shouldn't it?

bubbles are normal

a leaking welch plug will make the saw flood severely. if it runs at all it will be very difficult to get it to rev.

both needles should be about 1 turn out from lightly seated and the saw should run. you can tune it from there. are you sure you haven't run the needles into the seats and damaged them so that they are leaking?

Yes, I didn't damage the screws. It went from running OK to very rich without me having changed anything. I am very careful not to damage anything.

I looked at it and couldn't see that it was out of place. I know there have been some problems with sealant leaking. I should buy a hand pump to test carbs. Anyone know of a good pressure/vac tool? The only ones I have seen are just vacuum. I know you can make the pressure tester, but it would be a lot easier to buy a combo unit.

I still don't understand why the issue is not left to a dealer, the saw has to be under warranty? :msp_confused:

Find another dealer if you don't trust the one you bought it from!

Last edited:
The dealer is pretty incompetent, plus I pulled the limiter caps and would rather not have to deal with anything negative. I have been a pretty good customer and sent some business his way. If the carb is shot I guess I will try that route. If it was something simple I would rather fix it myself.

Back