346 XP low RPM no power, service center in Steubenville not good.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After checking the obvious, like the spark screen, fuel, tank vent and rpm - the first I would try is opening the L screw a little.

I take for granted that you are not using the choke when starting the saw warm......

take nothing for granted, I have done some pretty dumb things . . . . no choke is in when starting hot

After checking the obvious, like the spark screen, fuel, tank vent and rpm - the first I would try is opening the L screw a little.

I take for granted that you are not using the choke when starting the saw warm......

OK, so dropped it off at another service center. The guy said tell me what's going on: I told him when the saw was 4 months old it was hard to start hot, then told him now it has low RPM, little power. He immediately said: "may have a vacuum problem, hard to diagnose, but a leak test will help." Sounds like this guy must have some knowledge and he agreed that I should not be having any problems with a saw so new.
Will post back what he does to it.

Maybe he is going to test the carb???? An air leak in the crankcase is going to cause the saw to run lean. It will "scream" (for a short while), and it will take a lot of H screw to get the max RPM's down to where they should be. It will also probably have an erratic idle.
Good for changing dealers.

I agree with you guys,I would remove the muffler and inspect the piston.I would check for a plugged muffler screen too.
Another possibility is vapor-locking when hot,that causes very hard hot restarts,and poor running.I've usually had to do my own little mods to cure vapor-locking,the factories never admitted to that or had real fixes.
But the sudden lack of power makes me think damaged piston.Sometimes the factory settings on the "Limited" mixture screws are just far too lean.
I can't say I like the service your dealer is giving you.

Thanks everyone, screen is clean so goo there. The saw is at the new dealer, will open a new thread with an update as soon as I hear back!

In the 80's I worked in one of the largest saw shops in North America.
It was our shop policy that saws for professionals were a priority to fix,same day if possible,home-owner saws were second place.
We understood that when a person's living depended on their saw running we would work after hours if needed to get the person back to work.
For a saw to lay in a shop for 3 weeks....well I can tell you that some of the big burly loggers I used to see,you would not want to anger them.One man was unusually HUGE,we always joked that his saws had "unlimited warranty" because everyone was afraid to make him angry!:laugh:
He would bring his saw in to be fixed,and in his European accent say,"I have a wawanty chob here."

Latest posts

Back